University City District/ Website
PostedJul. 10, 2017
University City District (UCD) was founded in 1997 by a partnership of world-renowned anchor institutions, small businesses and residents to improve economic vitality and quality of life in the University City area of Philadelphia.
Beginning with our founding in 1997, UCD has leveraged the strengths of our institutional partners to focus on physical investments in the neighborhood—spurring business growth in our commercial corridors; and keeping the streets clean and safe.
In recent years, our approach to economic development has grown holistically, to include creating and maintaining vibrant public spaces; and connecting unemployed residents to training and real, career ladder jobs at the institutions of University City.
Today, University City District responds to the needs and opportunities of the diverse residents, businesses, institutions, and employees of University City through several interconnected efforts:
Clean & Safe – UCD’s 60 Public Safety Ambassadors serve as a highly visible deterrent to crime, patrolling University City streets each day from 10am to 3am on foot, vehicle and bicycle, maintaining constant contact with the substation of the Philadelphia Police Force that is located in UCD’s administrative headquarters.
UCD’s 22 Public Space Maintenance employees work from 8am to 4pm each day, cleaning and enhancing more than 160 commercial and residential blocks.
Economic Development and Planning focuses on business recruitment and retention; provides comprehensive assistance to property owners to transform derelict structures and lots into neighborhood assets; and creates and physically improves public spaces, which include verdant pedestrian plazas and a community composting center in a formerly empty lot.
Events and Programming – UCD creates and curates rich year-round programming working in partnership with local businesses and arts organizations. We activate the neighborhood through art installations, performances and destination events, bringing thousands of visitors and consumers to the community each year.
West Philadelphia Skills Initiative (WPSI) – The West Philadelphia Skills Initiative WPSI connects West Philadelphia employers seeking talent to West Philadelphians seeking opportunity in order to build local workforce capacity and support people in realizing their full economic potential.
Our ultimate goal is to build on University City’s unique economic assets and passionate community commitment to make this the most vibrant and livable neighborhood in Philadelphia; to strengthen University City’s impact on the regional economy; and to connect the disconnected to opportunities in their midst.
As University City District’s programmatic impact has expanded, so too has our revenue mix, with a 32% growth in our annual budget over five years. The Development Associate is a newly created part-time, 20 hour/week position, designed to provide vital support to all aspects of University City District’s increasingly robust fundraising activities, which include Annual Giving, Grant Support, Corporate Membership, and Event Sponsorship. The Development Associate will report directly to the Director of Development.
• Working closely with the Communications and Marketing Department and Event Planner, coordinate consistent communications with all Members throughout the year;
• Serve as primary contact for Membership benefit coordination, interfacing with Members and coordinating with UCD staff to ensure the comprehensive delivery of Membership benefits;
• Support the rolling annual renewal process, working with the Director of Finance and Director of Development to deliver timely invoices and accompanying request letters for each Member.
• Primary ownership of check processing and acknowledgement, prioritizing timeliness and accuracy;
• Support the creation of solicitation materials, including mailed, e-mailed, and online cultivation approaches; and
• Provide comprehensive administrative support including, but not limited to: preparing mailing lists; preparing, editing and proofing correspondence.
• Participate in prospect research;
• Support the timely submission of grant requests and reports, working in cross-department collaboration to prepare and submit written narratives;
• Prepare acknowledgements for grant awards;
• Support ongoing stewardship and engagement of funders;
• Maintain a tracking system for request and report deadlines.
• Prepare sponsorship decks, according to expressed interest of prospective supporters;
• Working with the Communications and Marketing Department, ensure sponsors receive full recognition and benefits associated with their support;
• Working with Director of Finance and Director of Development, prepare sponsorship agreements and provide invoices to sponsors.
Other responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications and Desired Competencies
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant field preferred
• 3 years of experience in non-profit development activities, including: grant writing, grant management, donor relations, donor solicitation and management
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Poise and maturity when interfacing with donors and colleagues
• Comfort with both independent and collaborative projects
• Ability to manage multiple priorities, tasks, and deadlines
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
• Experience with donor management systems, such as Filemaker, Raisers Edge preferred
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to respond with a resume, cover letter, and two writing samples, with “Development Associate” in the subject line to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. University City District is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.Apply Now Mention you found this work on Generocity! -30-