Posted on September 19, 2022
3645 Lancaster Ave Philadelphia PA
Primary Duties and Responsibilities: The Education Manager is a full-time position reporting to the Executive Director and requires working collaboratively with Al-Bustan team members, coordinating with project consultants, and managing several project assistants, interns, and volunteers. Al-Bustan has a wide array of education programming ranging from Arabic and ESOL classes for Arabs to music and art classes and workshops in schools and at Al-Bustan’s Hub. The Education Manager will be the direct supervisor or manager for these programs as well as Al-Bustan’s summer camp. Additionally, the Education Manager is expected to develop arts workshop ideas, pedagogy, and professional development lessons.
1. Education Programming/Events/Programming/Public Art
- Planning, implementing, and managing educational / public programming at the Al- Bustan Hub, schools, and other locations in the Philadelphia region such as Al- Bustan’s After School Arab Arts, Al-Bustan’s Summer Camp, public workshops, forums, films, talks, readings, and concerts with various partners as needed. Responsibilities may include are but are not limited to event management, talent management, and sales.
- Planning, developing, and presenting lessons, professional development workshops, and arts-based activities for a diverse group of learners at schools, community organizations, and interested institutions.
- Managing educational elements of Al-Bustan’s public art projects with the goals of:
- strengthening public engagement around the art exhibitions
- creating cultural exchange forums in schools and community settings that encourage dialogue around issues of immigration
- designing creative ways to represent and engage with the diversity and complexity of people who live in our city and country
- Assisting the Executive Director in the management and oversight of Al-Bustan staff, projects, and office as needed and in the absence of the Executive Director.
- Assisting the Executive Director in interviewing, contracting, and onboarding staff, volunteers, and interests.
- Providing regular month-end reports to the Executive Director
- Providing project supervision of all Education programming, finances, and contractors
- Assisting and serving as an event manager, when necessary, at Al-Bustan programming and events
- Arab Community Day
- Park Parties
- Concerts and Performances
- Film Screenings
- Gallery Openings
- Writing copy for Al-Bustan’s websites, advertising, and press releases as
- Working with the Executive Director and Senior Editor on Al-Bustan’s News Service to find and pitch appropriate stories
- Engaging in continual self-education and research that draws upon Arab arts, culture and history, through readings, online resources, and exchanges with knowledgeable scholars, artists, and educators
Qualifications & Skills:
- at least Bachelor’s degree in Education, Social Sciences, Arts Administration, or related fields
- at least 1-3 years’ experience in educational institution, non-profit arts education organization, or project implementation working with diverse constituencies of youth and adults of various ethnic/religious/socio-economic backgrounds
- staff, project, and budget management experience
- excellent writing, public speaking, and interpersonal communication skills
- excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to multi-task
- strong creative, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Drive
- conversant or fluent in the Arabic language or another language
- a background in Arab or SWANA Arts & Culture
- a background with immigration and refugee issues and communities
- connections with the Philadelphia or regional Arab / SWANA community
- connections with the Philadelphia or regional Arts & Culture or education sector
- classroom teaching experience in diverse environments
- a master’s degree in a relevant field or a bachelor’s plus 3+ years’ experience
- Administrative office of Al-Bustan is located at 3645 Lancaster Ave, Philadelphia, PA Place of work varies depending on location of programming, but the education manager may travel to engagement locations once or more a week.
- General work hours in office are from 9am to 5:30pm, with work required on weeknights or weekends as needed for programming, approximately two weekend days/nights per month. Hours of work to be tracked in a timesheet; excess of 40 hours per week can be compensated with time off to be taken within the following four weeks and scheduled in consultation with Executive Director and team Remote work hours will also be schedule in consultation with the Executive Director.
- Meetings with participants, parents, and partnering organizations may take place at various locations in/around Philadelphia.
- Adherence to Al-Bustan’s “Code of Conduct” is required at all times while working with Al-Bustan.
- Coordination of Al-Bustan’s calendar of activities with employee’s schedule outside of Al-Bustan is expected throughout the year.
- 5 personal days and 8 holidays (Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, New Year, July 4, Thanksgiving and the day after Thanksgiving, Labor, Memorial); 2 weeks (10 days) vacation (preferably not taken as consecutive weeks, timing must be discussed with ED at least a month in advance). Vacation and personal days from the prior contracted year will carry over unless used but should be used within the first 3 months of the next contract
- Free courses for employee and family
- Health insurance
- A starting annual salary of $48,000-$51,000, with monthly payment of $4,166.66.
- Employee transportation other than to/from work first work location on a given day is reimbursed at the federal rate.
- Based on job performance and organization’s financial resources, raises are assessed
Rooted in Arab arts and language, Al-Bustan Seeds of Culture offers artistic and educational programming that enriches cross-cultural understanding and celebrates diversity.
“Al-Bustan,” Arabic for “The Garden,” serves youth and adults of all ethnic, religious, and socio-economic backgrounds, while supporting the pursuit and affirmation of Arab American cultural identity and playing a constructive civic role within broader American society.
Apply for this job
Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com with a few words of your interest.
Mention you found this work on Generocity!