ArtWell, an award-winning youth arts organization, is seeking a dynamic Development Director to join their inspiring high-performing team. Over the past 20 years, ArtWell has worked with over 400 schools and community organizations to educate, inspire, and engage over 38,000 K-12 students across the Greater Philadelphia region. Headquartered in the Fishtown section of the city, ArtWell envisions a future where Philadelphia schools and neighborhoods are safe sanctuaries that nurture creativity and innovation, where arts and creativity are seen as an essential means for learning, leading, and liberation. In this future, the youth of our city are equipped to thrive, dream, and lead, and are seen and heard as engaged citizens and creators of change.
The Development Director will provide strategic oversight for the organization’s resource development activities as they relate to ArtWell’s goals and objectives. This position is responsible for creating and implementing an annual plan with diverse activities that will support fundraising and engagement goals. The Development Director also serves as a key thought leader with the ArtWell management team. It is paramount that this individual is aligned with ArtWell’s mission, vision and core values: the power of imagination, healing, community, social justice, spirituality and love. The ideal candidate for this position will have a proven track record of successful fundraising in Philadelphia, and will be motivated to join a dynamic, collaborative organization staffed with focused, creative, and thoughtful individuals who work hard and support each other with passion and respect.
Salary: $56,000 – $62,000
Benefits: Generous vacation/PTO package with medical/dental and retirement plan
Application Deadline: August 9
- Create and execute annual fundraising plan and calendar, managing up to $700,000 in revenue from foundations, corporations, individuals, government entities, and religious and community organizations
- Provide assistance to the Executive Director, staff, and Board of Directors in fundraising vision and goals
- Draft internal and external fundraising and marketing content and messaging, including grant proposals, e-newsletters, annual appeals and reports, email templates, and cultivation materials
- Ensure that philanthropy and fundraising are carried out according to organizational mission, vision, and strategic goals
- Work with Executive Director and Board leadership to create expanded engagement strategies and identify new opportunities for partnership and collaboration
- Provide regular development reporting and guidance in fundraising goal setting
- Provide individual portfolio management and solicitation support
- Manage communications about campaign strategy
- Manage and provide direction to fundraising and event committees
- Write, edit, and proof grant proposals and reports in collaboration with program staff
- Research and identify new institutional funding opportunities
- Manage relationships with foundation, corporate, community, and government entities
- Manage data collection and research for proposals and reports, including story mining with program staff and teaching artists
- Schedule and oversee program site visits with funders and teaching artists/program staff
- Manage all annual fundraising and cultivation events in consort with annual development plan including logistics, venue selection, event design, sponsorship, and execution
- Generosity 5K Run/Walk (October, annual)
- ArtWell Festival (June, biennial)
- ArtWell Awards (April, biennial)
- Holiday Party (December, annual)
- Other cultivation and special events as determined
- Identify prospects for corporate support and plan solicitation strategy
- Reach out to corporate prospects to discuss grants or sponsorship support
- Manage corporate sponsors for two major fundraising events (Festival & Awards), including benefits management, recognition, payment terms, and acknowledgments
- Build and grow corporate volunteer program, merging sponsor priorities with organizational needs
- Create individual donor cultivation strategy in collaboration with the Executive Director and Development Committee
- Create donor-facing materials (including program updates, solicitation letters, thank you cards)
- Plan and execute twice-yearly individual donor direct mail campaigns
- Work with Marketing Director to manage and execute online giving initiatives and multi-channel solicitation strategy
- Bachelors required, Masters preferred
- At least 5-10 years of experience in fundraising, preferably in a small shop
- The ability to embody and inspire creativity, excitement, and efficiency around fundraising
- Extremely organized and detail oriented
- Focused on seeing the “big picture” and creating high-level strategy
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multitask and keep multiple projects going at once
- An appreciation for creative problem solving, active listening, collaboration, self-awareness, and ongoing learning and innovation
- Willingness to engage in creative arts processes a must!
- Proficiency in MS Office, Google Drive, and Salesforce desired
ArtWell supports young people and their communities through multidisciplinary arts expression, education, and creative reflection to celebrate their strengths, thrive while facing complex challenges, and awaken their dreams. We envision a future where Philadelphia schools and neighborhoods are safe sanctuaries that nurture creativity and innovation, where arts and creativity are seen as an essential means for learning, leading, and liberation. In this future, youth are equipped to thrive, dream, and lead, and are seen and heard as engaged citizens and creators of change.
Since its founding in 2000, ArtWell has worked with over 400 schools and community organizations to educate and inspire over 38,000 K-12 students across the Greater Philadelphia region.
Apply for this job
Please submit your resume and cover letter (formatted as Word document or PDF) to email@example.com and address to Susan Teegen, Executive Director. Any questions should be communicated in writing. No calls, please. Mention you found this work on Generocity!