The Economy League of Greater Philadelphia is seeking a detail-oriented, entrepreneurial professional to run the Greater Philadelphia Leadership Exchange (GPLEX). The GPLEX Director is responsible for the portfolio of GPLEX initiatives and programs, including but not limited to producing the annual GPLEX convening, developing and executing an ongoing series of programming targeted at GPLEX alums, and building cohort identity through the development of the GPLEX alumni network. The Economy League is a 112-year-old “think-and-do” tank supported by the business and civic communities in Greater Philadelphia. It is a dynamic organization focused squarely on promoting inclusive prosperity for our region.
We want to hear from you if you:
- Believe that cultivating informed and collaborative leadership across sectors, using data and research to inform decision-making, fostering a culture of civic experimentation and innovation, and opening doors to civic participation are key to achieving inclusive growth and prosperity in Greater Philadelphia
- Are deeply curious about how to drive systemic and equitable change and want to help us build ‘civic muscle’
About the program
Since 2005, the Economy League has created an exemplary experience for 100-250 cross-sector leaders annually, through in-region programming, out-of-region learning visits, and in 2020, an all-virtual ‘civic solutions clinic.’ GPLEX engages a diverse group of participants in explorations that lead to new insights and ideas, helps them forge new connections across sectors and industries, deepens their understanding of Greater Philadelphia’s potential, and helps to build “civic muscle.” Through GPLEX the Economy League has taken participants to Chicago, San Francisco, Toronto, Atlanta, Boston, Los Angeles, and Seattle, and in 2022 plans to travel to Detroit. In odd-numbered years the Economy League convenes more than 200 cross-sector leaders to take a deep dive into the regional economy. The core of GPLEX is a series of field trips (aka “regional explorations”) that expose participants to cutting edge innovations in a variety of domains including business, technology, healthcare, creative place-making, and others. Under the Economy League’s Strategic Plan, GPLEX will expand to include more regular programming in addition to the annual leadership convening.
GPLEX Director Responsibilities
- Content strategy
- Work with staff leadership and the GPLEX Advisory Committee to identify program themes and develop content that is fresh and appealing to a cross-sector audience.
- Conduct primary and secondary research to identify issues, programs, and collaborations for exploration via GPLEX programming
- Oversee the development of written and interactive content that helps market and promote GPLEX to prospective participants and sponsors and enhances the GPLEX participant experience
- Program design and planning
- Recruit partners and collaborators either locally or in the host city that will help create novel experiences for GPLEX participants
- Manage the logistical planning and budget for GPLEX programming to ensure that the program’s finances are aligned with the organizational budget and financial management strategies
- Design year-round civic-solutions-oriented programming to engage GPLEX alums, policymakers, journalists, etc.
- Stakeholder engagement
- Serve as primary point of contact for GPLEX participants, speakers, consultants, vendors, sponsors, and anyone otherwise engaged in the program
- Manage the GPLEX Recruitment & Selection and Advisory Committees
- Work with the Executive Director and Board leadership to identify and cultivate program sponsors. This will include participating in sponsor recruitment and providing logistical and communications support for sponsorship development efforts
- Manage the development of a GPLEX Alumni network that regularly activates program alumni
- Program execution and event management
- Direct and manage all aspects of the production of all GPLEX events, including the ‘main event’ as well as periodic smaller-scale programming
- Work with the ELGP Communications Manager to design and execute a GPLEX internal and external marketing plan
- 5+ years of experience in the social sector with focus on program design and implementation experience, or similarly relevant experience
- Experience developing and leading programming for stakeholders, with demonstrated ability to deliver value for all participants
- Ideal candidate will be detail-oriented and results-focused in a fast-paced environment, and will possess a deep curiosity about the issues that shape social change
- Event planning and management experience, especially with large events and diverse, cross-sector groups, and understanding of business planning and operations are essential
- Demonstrated project/program management experience, particularly of complex, multi-stakeholder initiatives is essential
- Demonstrated familiarity with the forces and systems that influence inclusive growth at the city and metropolitan level
- Demonstrated experience working with corporate, non-profit, and community leaders
- Excellent communications skills, including writing, public speaking, and social media competence; capacity to simultaneously manage multiple threads of correspondence with various types of stakeholders
The GPLEX Director is a full-time position with benefits including healthcare and retirement plan. Salary competitive and commensurate with skills and experience.