Posted on September 15, 2020
Associate, Communications and Outreach
Communications / Marketing
The Associate Communications and Outreach is responsible for supporting PYN’s efforts to promote the organization’s programs and efforts locally, regionally, and nationally with the goal of creating more opportunities to improve the educational and economic outcomes of young Philadelphians.
This position requires excellent communication and organizational skills and relevant experience to support and coordinate communication activities across the organization and beyond. The main focus of this position is to create and support content to promote to PYN’s programs and initiatives through various communications channels.
Primary responsibilities include:
Products and Publications
- Support PYN programs, pilots and initiatives by leading efforts to create materials for outreach including swag, collateral, web content and recruitment materials
- Support or lead material development, including creating, editing, coordinating with graphic designer, and publication
- Coordinate communications and outreach requests, including developing timelines, drafting content, procuring printing, and acting as the liaison between PYN staff and the Communications and Marketing department
- Procure content for, produce, and distribute youth and select stakeholder outreach communications
- Maintain and develop content for PYN’s websites to promote programs and efforts, including org, workready.org and projectuturn.net
- Ensure timely posting of news, publications, and other content on PYN’s websites to keep audiences informed
- Work with content owners to ensure websites are up-to-date on an ongoing basis
- Lead social media efforts for the organization to promote PYN and its programs, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram
- Develop and propose strategies for positioning PYN across a variety of social media outlets and platforms to increase reach and engagement
- Lead public relations efforts by developing and maintaining media relationships in Philadelphia and nationally to secure coverage of PYN’s programs and efforts
- Support public relations efforts with other departments including events, employer recruitment campaigns and media outreach. Oversee efforts from planning and collateral design to implementation and press follow-up
- Work with relevant PYN staff to identify and maintain a current list of youth, employer, and provider spokespersons to speak on behalf of PYN programs and efforts
- Media tracking – Maintain a record of media hits and produce reports on a quarterly basis or as needed
- Produce and procure content for internal communications to keep staff informed about current programmatic and related efforts
- Post and update materials on internal communication channels, including the shared drive and SharePoint
- Provide relevant updates for external communications efforts, as well as for internal use by PYN departments
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum three years professional experience in communications
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including visual presentation of information and high-level command of grammar, spelling and word usage
- A writing sample will be required
- In-depth understanding of communication strategies, especially relating to social media (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram)
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and handle multiple simultaneous tasks and demands
- High level proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook is required
- Proficiency in professional design software preferred (especially InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator)
- Extremely well-organized, with attention to accuracy and detail.
- Ability to understand and interpret program and financial data and make basic statistical calculations
- Interest in workforce development, youth development, and/or urban education issues
- Demonstrated success managing tasks with minimal supervision
- Successful completion of background checks (PA State Criminal, PA Department of Public Welfare Child Abuse, S. Department of Justice National Sex Offender Registry, and F.B.I. fingerprinting)
PYN alleviates poverty by preparing young people to succeed in tomorrow’s workforce. PYN coordinates partners that connect young people to education and employment experiences, equipping them with the skills employers need. As a result, PYN creates a system of services that help young people become successful, creating a diverse local talent pipeline. Learn more at pyninc.org.
Apply for this job
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org and please indicate Associate in the subject line. The Philadelphia Youth Network values the safety of our staff, our partners and our young people. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, PYN is following safe practice guidelines and operating temporarily remote until further notice. Please contact email@example.com with questions about PYN’s remote work. Mention you found this work on Generocity!