Philadelphia Youth Network (PYN) has an immediate opening for a full-time Controller that will be responsible for oversight of all accounting and reporting activities.
The Controller will lead all day-to-day accounting operations and supervise a team of 3-4 staff members including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll. The Controller will ensure that the Organization has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation. The Controller will work closely with program staff, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can support program operations. Primary responsibilities include:
• Oversee all accounting and reporting systems and supervise the accounting staff ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements
• Leverage strengths of the current finance team members, help to clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals
• Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures
• Coordinate all audit activity
• Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of the Organization’s financial status
• Assist the Organization’s leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate
• Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants
• Manage organizational cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with the program staff; continuously collaborate with program staff to assess the financial efficacy of program operations and establish finance and administrative systems to support program operations
• Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
• Minimum seven years of experience, including at least three years managing staff
• Strong knowledge of not-for profit GAAP and financial reporting. Grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting of government (in particular OMB A-133), corporate and foundation grants is essential
• Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger and payroll
• Extremely well-organized, with attention to accuracy and detail and strong analytical skills
• Commitment to recruiting, mentoring, training, and retaining a diverse team; the foresight and ability to delegate accordingly
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board, staff and other outside stakeholders
• Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers
• Keen analytic and problem-solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation
• Proven ability to prioritize projects and initiate follow through with meticulous attention to detail and high-level accuracy
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure and handle multiple simultaneous tasks and demands
• Self-starter with ability to work independently, lead a team and collaborate with others
• Advanced proficiency in Excel and knowledge of not-for-profit accounting software
• Successfully passing background checks (PA State Criminal, PA Department of Public Welfare Child Abuse, U.S. Department of Justice National Sex Offender Registry, and F.B.I. fingerprinting)
Philadelphia Youth Network offers a comprehensive employee health & wellness benefits program and a competitive salary range based on past experience, job knowledge, and demonstrated skills and abilities.
Philadelphia Youth Network (PYN) is a solutions-builder forging together significant players to alleviate a root cause of poverty by preparing 12-24-year-olds to become productive working adults. Our work is grounded in the understanding that young people need access to both education and employment, proven factors in being prepared for a career. With a track record of increasing impact, PYN funds and brokers action with the right partners to collectively address barriers. PYN constructs systems to create change, while innovating to meet evolving needs. Together with our partners, PYN dramatically changes the trajectory of individuals’ lives by giving voice to underserved youth, and ultimately creating a pipeline for an educated, engaged workforce.
New jobs. Your inbox. Every week. Get it.