Philadelphia Youth Network (PYN) has an immediate opening for a full-time Data Specialist.
This position is charged with utilizing PYN data systems (in particular Power BI) to their utmost potential, providing PYN with much richer data that can be used to refine programming, and in particular, to increase access to PYN programs for young people from priority populations, for example those who are justice system involved.
This role at PYN will support various programmatic and evaluation functions with insights gained from analyzing internal and external data. This position will leverage large data sets and use appropriate statistical modeling to test the effectiveness of different programmatic interventions. The candidate must have strong experience using a variety of data mining/analysis methods, using a variety of tools, using/creating algorithms and running simulations. They must be comfortable working within standard Business Intelligence and database products such as Power BI, SPSS, SQL Server, R, Python.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to identify opportunities to leverage data to drive and improve programmatic initiatives. This includes developing custom data models, algorithms and using predictive modeling to increase participant utilization
- Assist in developing the appropriate framework for testing and tracking program model quality by using advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests, etc.) and utilize statistical computer languages (R, Python, SQL, etc. a plus) to manipulate data and draw insights
- Develop the processes and tools to monitor and analyze program performance and data accuracy
- Collaborate with staff working with external partners to fulfill data requests focused on PYN’s most recently implemented efforts to increase access to summer and year-round programming. These data requests will involve preparing data visualizations for internal review and working through revisions based on feedback
- Collaborate with PLD team members to aggregate and analyze data from PYN’s CI efforts (Weikart observations and scoring; Program Summary Reports; Quarterly WIOA and E3 data snapshots; etc.)
- Understand both the data and programming in order to refine PYN reports to best describe programmatic efforts
- Work with multiple departments to carry out data projects including Business Intelligence, Program Operations, and Program Learning and Development teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics or Computer Science or the social sciences (working toward or attained master’s degree preferred)
- Minimum of three years relevant work experience
- Must be able to diagnose, recommend and develop solutions to data collection/entry inconsistencies and report issues to relevant staff. Specifically, the qualified candidate will process requests for reports; analyze reports for consistency against other known data factors; implement solutions to correct anomalies or devise alternative strategies to improve results; and communicate results in a fashion that makes a positive contribution to the overall strategy
- Knowledge and experience in statistical and data mining techniques: Regression, Random sampling, text mining, social network analysis, etc.
- Power BI (strongly preferred), SPSS, SQL Server, R, Python
- Experience querying databases and using statistical computer languages (R, Python, SQL, etc.)
- Experience visualizing data for colleagues of varied technical backgrounds
- Self-motivated, highly organized, highly detail-oriented, and possess solid problem-solving skills
- Well-developed project and time management skills
- Ability to effectively work in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment to meet deadlines while managing multiple tasks and projects simultaneously. Must be comfortable with and able to adapt to changing demands
- Have demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills
- Be able to collaborate with peers in a team environment, share in the quality review of deliverables, and provide helpful feedback
- Demonstrate the technical aptitude required to learn and use the tools and software to perform the job
- Successful completion of background checks (PA State Criminal, PA Department of Public Welfare Child Abuse, S. Department of Justice National Sex Offender Registry, and F.B.I. fingerprinting)
Philadelphia Youth Network offers a comprehensive employee health & wellness benefits program and a competitive salary range based on past experience, job knowledge, and demonstrated skills and abilities.
PYN alleviates poverty by preparing young people to succeed in tomorrow’s workforce. PYN coordinates partners that connect young people to education and employment experiences, equipping them with the skills employers need. As a result, PYN creates a system of services that help young people become successful, creating a diverse local talent pipeline. Learn more at pyninc.org.
Apply for this job
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org and please indicate Data Specialist in the subject line. The Philadelphia Youth Network values the safety of our staff, our partners and our young people. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, PYN is following safe practice guidelines and operating temporarily remote until further notice. Please contact email@example.com with questions about PYN’s remote work. Mention you found this work on Generocity!