5738 N. 5th St.
The North 5th Street Revitalization Project (N5SRP) is seeking an outgoing, organized, and community-minded individual to join its passionate team. The Community and Economic Development Assistant (CEDA) will gain hands-on experience in commercial corridor revitalization work in one of Philadelphia’s most ethnically diverse and exciting commercial districts. The Assistant will also receive training, networking opportunities, and professional development.
Organization and Program Description
N5SRP enhances the quality of life for the merchants and residents in and around Olney’s North 5th Street commercial district by: 1) improving and maintaining the streetscape; 2) increasing public safety; 3) supporting existing small businesses and attracting new, viable economic uses; and 4) fostering community connectedness.
For a better sense of N5SRP’s activities and approach to community and economic development, visit facebook.com/northfifth or ShopNorth5th.com
Reporting to the Program Director, the CEDA will work with the N5SRP team to implement N5SRP’s corridor revitalization plan. Specific responsibilities include:
• Assisting with door to door merchant and community outreach
• Reporting issues to Philly 311 using the Philly 311 tablet app
• Assisting with spring/summer cleanups and other community events and activities
• Assisting in preparing quarterly reports to funders
• General office maintenance and administrative tasks
• Performing other duties as assigned
•A strong interest and some education or experience in community development, economic development, urban planning, social work, business or a related field.
•Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
•Attention to detail and strong time management and organizational skills.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
• Ability to work well with diverse groups of people and the publc, including non-English speakers.
• Basic proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Excel •Basic proficiency with Twitter, Facebook, Instagram
Why This Job Is For You
• You want a front seat in learning more about the community and economic development in Philadelphia
• You are eager to build your network in the Philadelphia social sector, and meet wonderful people at a wide variety of organizations that can help you take your next professional step
• You have a talent for engaging with others and want to use those skills to advance good work and an impactful mission
• You are curious to learn how a nonprofit organization is run, from the inside
• You enjoy autonomy and responsibility, and seeing the fruits of your labors as you take a project from start to finish!
Timeframe and Hours :
The position entails working 20 – 25 hours per week starting July 1, 2019 during normal
N5SRP business hours (10am-6pm Mon-Fri). Weekly work schedule is flexible and may require limited evening and weekend hours.
To Apply: Send a brief cover letter and resume to Stephanie Michel at Stephanie@shopnorth5th.com with ‘Assistant’ in the subject line by Friday, June 28th at 6pm.
New jobs. Your inbox. Every week. Get it.