Verified Voting (www.verifiedvoting.org), founded by computer scientists in 2004, is a leading national not-for-profit, non-partisan organization whose mission is to strengthen democracy for all voters by promoting the responsible use of technology in elections.
The unprecedented events of the 2016 election cycle focused the nation’s attention once again on the machinery and infrastructure of democracy. As Robert Mueller declared, “There were multiple, systematic efforts to interfere in our elections. That allegation deserves the attention of every American.” This unprecedented threat to our voting systems emphasizes the need for a national response to strengthen our electoral processes especially now as we approach the 2020 Presidential election.
Verified Voting seeks an experienced full-time Program Director to supervise the delivery and overall success of 15-20 programs supporting a national effort promoting widespread adoption of election security best practices. This position manages a 7-9 member team of staff and consultants and implements program strategy on issues drawn directly from today’s headlines. He or she will manage activities for both the (c)(3) (Verified Voting Foundation) and separately for the (c)(4) (VerifiedVoting.org) arms of the organization.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter with demonstrated experience working with and being accountable to a fast-paced, mission-oriented team. This position requires some travel and some evening and weekend work. The preferred candidate will work in the Philadelphia, PA headquarters. Verified Voting will consider candidates along the Northeast Corridor between Washington, DC and New York City and who can travel frequently to Philadelphia.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Initiate and set goals for programs according to strategic objectives of the organization.
- Lead implementation of program priorities by supervising staff and coordinating the work of consultants.
- Plan the program and set deadlines, milestones and processes for tracking progress.
- In consultation with the President, recruit, onboard and train program staff.
- Coordinate and allocate organizational resources among 15-30 potential program areas in a fiscal year.
- Develop and monitor program budgets to ensure that they use resources productively.
- Participate in the development of strategic program goals.
- Devise an evaluation method or process to assess program strengths and identify areas for improvement.
- Develop objective performance measurements, to ensure consistent, high-quality evaluation and goal setting for all employees.
- Instill a sense of accountability among team members by modeling tight oversight of individual and organization performance standards.
- Prepare reports for the President and other management to inform them of the status and accomplishments of the program work.
- Collaborate with the Development Officer to ensure grants and other materials align with program goals and outcomes.
- Minimum 7-10 years relevant experience, at least 3 of which are in a managerial role. B.A. or B.S. degree required.
- Strong project management skills managing complex, multifaceted projects resulting in measurable successes and program growth.
- Familiarity with civil rights and/or voting rights issues preferred. Familiarity with policy issues surrounding secure and verifiable voting systems a plus.
- Demonstrated success developing, managing, motivating and holding accountable a professional team of staff, consultants and interns some of whom work remotely.
- Proficient in using technology as a management reporting tool, such as Asana and ClickTime or similar. Proficient in web-based tools such as G-Suite and Dropbox.
- Passionate commitment to strengthening our democratic processes and ensuring confidence in US elections.
- Consensus builder, with proven ability to interact with and form effective relationships with President, staff, donors, and volunteers.
- Strong organizational skills with a capacity to set priorities and handle complex tasks.
- Displays original thinking and creativity, identifying problems and solutions that improve work processes and impact.
- Demonstrates integrity and respect for confidentiality, upholds organizational values of collaboration, trustworthiness and effectiveness, shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences and promotes a harassment-free environment.
We value multiple perspectives and viewpoints from diverse constituencies because we recognize that diversity informs more effective solutions. We value the wide-ranging perspectives that our colleagues and collaborators bring to the table and we create an environment for all voices to be heard. Verified Voting is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit resume and short cover letter regarding your interest in the position and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Salary range $90-$105K commensurate with experience. Verified Voting is an equal opportunity employer.