Reflective Democracy Director
Welcomes returning citizens
Pennsylvania Voice seeks a talented strategist—with field, coalition and campaign skills—to join the organization’s leadership team. The successful candidate for this position will work to oversee a multi-year campaign to guarantee a robust education and outreach program for the 2020 US Census, and support our partners campaigning for redistricting reform in Pennsylvania.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES. The Reflective Democracy Director will:
- Identify and recruit stakeholders for the Keystone Counts coalition. The coalition is made up of a broad set of stakeholders committed to making sure all communities are counted accurately in 2020. The census is used to make sure all Pennsylvanians are represented in government and have access to services they need.
- Facilitate coalition authorship of a “Get out the Count” plan for 2019-2020. The plan will name specific goals, metrics, a timeline, and a budget for a field campaign to encourage individuals to complete the 2020 Census who may not otherwise do so on their own.
- Educate and engage state and municipal leaders on the importance of the 2020 Census, specifically encouraging participation in and funding of Get out the Count activities.
- Develop key performance metrics to evaluate the success of campaign plans and tactics.
- Provide regular, comprehensive updates on campaign progress to various stakeholders.
- Additional duties include: advocacy at the federal level for policy improvements; conducting routine check-ins with stakeholders, writing policy papers, organizing opportunities to collective action, etc.
In addition, the Reflective Democracy Director will assist the entire PA Voice team:
- Building and maintaining strategic relationships across the state with nonprofit leaders, elected leaders, and policy experts guided by priorities named by partner organizations.
- Planning a campaign to create accountability from elected leaders to improve voting maps in 2021, starting with a focus on racial equity.
- Assisting with racial equity goals of the organization, like determining priorities and a budget for 2019 people of color leadership ladder goals.
We’re seeking self-starters who are results-oriented and excellent at building relationships. Relevant skills and experiences includes:
- Developing and maintaining strong relationships with all kinds of people
- A demonstrated commitment to meeting a high bar
- A history of getting things done, even in the face of obstacles
- Managing multiple projects
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to process and communicate policy issues effectively to a wide audience
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral), and ability to work across multiple communities and in diverse settings
- Diplomatic, professional approach to problem solving
- Willingness to work some long, irregular hours and willingness to travel
- 5+ years of relevant experience managing large groups, creating collective plans, etc.
Compensation: Depends on experience and is highly competitive. Salary range is $70-$80 K with excellent benefits.
Pennsylvania Voice is an equal opportunity employer, and we make a particular effort to recruit people of color to apply for open positions.
About Pennsylvania Voice: Pennsylvania Voice is a statewide network of 35+ organizations committed to creating a fair and just Pennsylvania by making our democracy more accessible, inclusive, and representative. Pennsylvania Voice staff works with partners to amplify the voices of the New American Majority: people of color, youth and single women. A small staff of experienced organizers/strategists support state leaders working in four specific program areas:
- Civic engagement: Year-round integrated voter engagement campaigns which increase voting, voter registration, and participation, focused on the New American Majority.
- Civic access: Modernizing elections to make voting convenient and fully accessible.
- Civic representation: Restoring true representation to our state’s democracy by preparing for the 2020 Census and subsequent redistricting process in 2021.
- Racial equity: Supporting POC leadership development and centering racial equity in all programmatic work.
Pennsylvania Voice is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Pennsylvania Voice encourages women, people of color, persons with disabilities, people with records of arrest or conviction, veterans, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals to apply. Pennsylvania Voice hiring process will comply with Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Standards (“Ban the Box”) ordinance.
Apply for this job
Please send a cover letter and resume to Erin Casey, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, at which time the job announcement will be removed from our website, www.pavoice.org/jobs
Mention you found this work on Generocity!