Finding affordable family activities, especially during the holidays, is not always easy. However, Art-Reach’s newest initiative, ACCESS Admission, allows those who monitor their government-issued cash, medical and food benefits with an EBT card, to attend local museums at an affordable rate of just $2 per person. ACCESS cardholders and up to 3 additional family members can visit any of the 17 participating museums.
“ACCESS Admission is Art-Reach’s latest initiative. It’s a way for us to more deeply engage individuals in the community who are facing financial adversity. The program is tailored to meet the needs of ACCESS Card holders,” said Melissa Roderman, Art-Reach communications & engagement associate.
“It breaks down a huge financial barrier that exists in engaging with the arts in our region, and it has the potential to serve a really large portion of our cities population,” she added.
1,667 people used the program in September, and 2,247 in October. November numbers are currently being collected and tallied, but Art-Reach expects it to range from 1,700 to 2,000.
“We’ve gotten a really positive response from families in the area, granted if you are an individual you can also use the program, but we thought we would cater to that notion by reminding and encouraging people to take a moment with their friends and family to visit these great museums amidst the busy holiday season,” Roderman said.
With the exception of major holidays like Christmas and New Years’ Day, most museums are open their normal operating hours and many of them are offering special holiday exhibits that are free with admission.
“So we thought we would highlight some of the holiday programs that our partners are providing to the public–all the programs that we’ve advertising are free with admission, so whether or not you’re an ACCESS cardholder, once you get through the front door, you’re allowed to participate in these activities,” Roderman said.
Here’s a list of ACCESS Museums with holiday programming:
- AAMP: Macy’s Family Fun Day at AAMP:Kwanzaa Celebration! Dec 27 & 28th Free with Museum Admission.
- Morris Arboretum: Holiday Garden Railway, November 28 – January 4: 10:00am – 4:00pm. Free with Museum Admission
- NMAJH: Being [ ] at Christmas, Thursday, December 25, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm. Free with Museum Admission
Philadelphia History Museum: Pay What You Wish Holiday Weekend, Friday, December 26 & 27. Pay what you wish.
From our Partners
Philadelphia Museum of Art: Holiday Card Making, December 17 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Free with Museum Admission
Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens: Mummer’s Masks on New Year’s Day, Thursday, January 1st, 12-4:30 Free with Museum Admission.
Full list of participating museums:
- Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
- The African American Museum in Philadelphia
- American Swedish Historical Museum
- The Barnes Foundation
- Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site
- Historic Christ Church and Christ Church Burial Ground
- Independence Seaport Museum
- Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania
- Mütter Museum of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
- National Constitution Center
- National Museum of American Jewish History
- Penn Museum
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
- Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent
- Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens
- Please Touch Museum
Photo courtesy of Art-Reach-30-
From our Partners
Awesome Foundation Philly: A peek into our selection process
In its third year, Nerdtino Expo is all about Latinx style, Philly solidarity, and comic book art
If you are a local filmmaker and need finishing funds, Scribe Video Center has your back
Beyond Literacy: Combining nearly 90 years of history into one org
Report: Arts organizations can be essential part of the solutions to problems of aging
These artists with disabilities and college students collab’d to make BioArt
These people and orgs went home with 2016 Arts + Biz Council awards
Inscripción Doble en Congreso: Lo que trae el futuro
Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity