reForm shares the community’s story in the wake of Fairhill Elementary School’s closing - Generocity Philly

Aug. 25, 2015 1:22 pm

reForm shares the community’s story in the wake of Fairhill Elementary School’s closing

The installation from artist Pepón Osorio will open August 28

In the wake of 24 Philadelphia school closures in 2013, Temple Contemporary is giving a voice to the now silent school halls. Artist Pepón Osorio has been commissioned to create a new installation, specifically addressing the loss of the Fairhill Elementary School in North Philadelphia.

Osorio and a group of teachers, students, parents and neighbors have gathered objects from the closed Fairhill classrooms, which will become a part of an installation called The reForm Project inside the Tyler School of Art.

For Osorio, the sense of agency that residents may gain from the group process is as important as the installation environment: “I am hoping that this project, with all its components, counters the feelings that I’ve heard so many North Philadelphians describe—feeling invisible in the bureaucratic decision-making of the school closings.”

Temple Contemporary, which uses art to ask locally relevant questions with international significance, has six projects so far that provoke thought and address Philly’s social issues.

One of Surdna Foundation’s grantees of its Artists Engaging in Social Change award, the reForm project received $57,000 toward building community-based educational programming focused on the Fairhill Elementary/Middle School and its neighborhood in North Philadelphia.

The reForm exhibition will open on August 28 at Tyler School of Art from 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.– see below for a sneak peak of the installation and the Fairhill Elementary/Middle School community rallying for the project.

[metaslider id=38407]

Images via Temple Contemporary

From our Partners

-30-
VIEW COMMENTS

From our Partners

Letters to our ancestors

How the pandemic response has failed young people: Unemployment, caregiving and education

Opinion: We can’t let learning loss worsened by COVID deepen opportunity gaps for Philly students

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

On June 17, First Person Arts and EMOC launch a virtual event they hope will shatter misperceptions of men of color

Philadelphia

Maternity Care Coalition

Program Manager – Healthy Start Program

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

Settlement Music School

Kaleidoscope Preschool Arts Enrichment Program Head Teacher – Full Time

Apply Now
Edison, New Jersey

Jewish Renaissance Foundation, Inc

Chief Executive Officer (CEO)

Apply Now

3 important outcomes for young people who are taught critical race theory

Student voice needs to be at forefront of CRT decision-making

How student-designed video games made me rethink how I teach history

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

Good food + good people + good cause = good times

1800 JFK Blvd #1900B Philadelphia, PA 19103

Juvenile Law Center

Administrative Assistant

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

Clarifi

Individual Giving Associate

Apply Now
Philadelphia , PA

Community Legal Services

Communications and Content Manager

Apply Now

Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity