These students are raising thousands for their school (and themselves) with jawns - Generocity Philly

Purpose

Dec. 28, 2015 10:30 am

These students are raising thousands for their school (and themselves) with jawns

For the second year, students at The Workshop School are crafting and selling "jawnaments." So far, they've raised about $7,000.

"Jawnaments" crafted by high school students at The Workshop School.

(Screenshot)

Christopher Wink, cofounder of Generocity parent company Technically Media, serves on the board of The Workshop School.
A troop of high school students in West Philly are running a tree ornament operation out of an after-school program, and it’s reeling in thousands of dollars.

For the second consecutive year, students at The Workshop School have been designing, crafting and selling artisanal, Philly-centric Christmas tree ornaments. According to NewsWorks, the ornaments generated about $7,000 this year — tripling last year’s sales.

Read the full story

Half the funds will be routed back to the school. The other half will get divvied up and doled out as student management sees fit.

This isn’t your grandmother’s arts and crafts club. This is a real business with real profit potential. So, the students treat it like one. Check out this jawn for yourself below.

The program, Workshop Industries, employs a laissez-faire take on project-based education. A faculty supervisor is tasked with keeping things civil, but the business itself is overseen and operated by the students (who very resourcefully persuaded their colleagues over at the computer club to build them an ecommerce site).

It’s a hands-off pedagogical approach that relies on real-world testing, and educators across the city are giving it a shot. Just ask the aspiring student entrepreneurs developing their businesses at Friends Select School or the 13 teens who recently granted $45,000 to local nonprofits after developing their own vetting process.

-30-
VIEW COMMENTS

From our Partners

Stomping Grounds Café celebrates ‘magic’ of coffee in West Philadelphia

A strong school district = stronger communities

Research suggests teachers and school staff play a central role in COVID-19 outbreaks on campus

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

Be the leader to bring a 26-year mission into the future in Chester County

Hamilton, NJ

Grounds For Sculpture

Collections & Exhibitions Coordinator

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

PA Humanities

Senior Operations Manager

Apply Now
Hamilton, NJ

Grounds For Sculpture

Preparator

Apply Now

Schools can reopen safely — an epidemiologist describes what works and what’s not worth the effort

3 important outcomes for young people who are taught critical race theory

Student voice needs to be at forefront of CRT decision-making

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

Village of the Arts seeks to deepen and scale its impact as it reflects on its legacy

Philadelphia, PA

Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) Philadelphia

Program Officer, Equitable Neighborhoods

Apply Now
3675 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104

University City Science Center

Development Associate

Apply Now
Erie

Hagen History Center/Erie County Historical Society

Hagen History Center Executive Director

Apply Now

Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity