These students are raising thousands for their school (and themselves) with jawns - Generocity Philly

Purpose

Dec. 28, 2015 10:30 am

These students are raising thousands for their school (and themselves) with jawns

For the second year, students at The Workshop School are crafting and selling "jawnaments." So far, they've raised about $7,000.

"Jawnaments" crafted by high school students at The Workshop School.

(Screenshot)

Christopher Wink, cofounder of Generocity parent company Technically Media, serves on the board of The Workshop School.
A troop of high school students in West Philly are running a tree ornament operation out of an after-school program, and it’s reeling in thousands of dollars.

For the second consecutive year, students at The Workshop School have been designing, crafting and selling artisanal, Philly-centric Christmas tree ornaments. According to NewsWorks, the ornaments generated about $7,000 this year — tripling last year’s sales.

Read the full story

Half the funds will be routed back to the school. The other half will get divvied up and doled out as student management sees fit.

This isn’t your grandmother’s arts and crafts club. This is a real business with real profit potential. So, the students treat it like one. Check out this jawn for yourself below.

The program, Workshop Industries, employs a laissez-faire take on project-based education. A faculty supervisor is tasked with keeping things civil, but the business itself is overseen and operated by the students (who very resourcefully persuaded their colleagues over at the computer club to build them an ecommerce site).

It’s a hands-off pedagogical approach that relies on real-world testing, and educators across the city are giving it a shot. Just ask the aspiring student entrepreneurs developing their businesses at Friends Select School or the 13 teens who recently granted $45,000 to local nonprofits after developing their own vetting process.

-30-
VIEW COMMENTS

From our Partners

3 important outcomes for young people who are taught critical race theory

Student voice needs to be at forefront of CRT decision-making

How student-designed video games made me rethink how I teach history

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

On June 17, First Person Arts and EMOC launch a virtual event they hope will shatter misperceptions of men of color

Philadelphia

Playworks Education Energized

Development Operations Associate

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

GreenLight Fund

Program Associate, GreenLight Fund Philadelphia

Apply Now
West Chester, PA

Friends Association for Care & Protection of Children

Chief Operating Officer

Apply Now

Can schools require COVID-19 vaccines for students now that Pfizer’s shot is authorized for kids 12 and up?

Darnella Frazier’s video was key to Chauvin conviction. Young people are key to achieving justice

Bringing ‘behavioral vaccines’ to school: 5 ways educators can support student well-being

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

Good food + good people + good cause = good times

West Chester, PA

Advancement Associate

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

Fairmount Ventures Inc

Associate

Apply Now
currently virtual; soon to be full or partially in-person in Philadelphia

City Year Philadelphia

Individual Giving/Donor Engagement Manager

Apply Now

Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity