These students are raising thousands for their school (and themselves) with jawns - Generocity Philly

Purpose

Dec. 28, 2015 10:30 am

These students are raising thousands for their school (and themselves) with jawns

For the second year, students at The Workshop School are crafting and selling "jawnaments." So far, they've raised about $7,000.

"Jawnaments" crafted by high school students at The Workshop School.

(Screenshot)

Christopher Wink, cofounder of Generocity parent company Technically Media, serves on the board of The Workshop School.
A troop of high school students in West Philly are running a tree ornament operation out of an after-school program, and it’s reeling in thousands of dollars.

For the second consecutive year, students at The Workshop School have been designing, crafting and selling artisanal, Philly-centric Christmas tree ornaments. According to NewsWorks, the ornaments generated about $7,000 this year — tripling last year’s sales.

Read the full story

Half the funds will be routed back to the school. The other half will get divvied up and doled out as student management sees fit.

This isn’t your grandmother’s arts and crafts club. This is a real business with real profit potential. So, the students treat it like one. Check out this jawn for yourself below.

The program, Workshop Industries, employs a laissez-faire take on project-based education. A faculty supervisor is tasked with keeping things civil, but the business itself is overseen and operated by the students (who very resourcefully persuaded their colleagues over at the computer club to build them an ecommerce site).

It’s a hands-off pedagogical approach that relies on real-world testing, and educators across the city are giving it a shot. Just ask the aspiring student entrepreneurs developing their businesses at Friends Select School or the 13 teens who recently granted $45,000 to local nonprofits after developing their own vetting process.

-30-
VIEW COMMENTS

From our Partners

Research suggests teachers and school staff play a central role in COVID-19 outbreaks on campus

Kids wrestled with depression, eating disorders and other mental health issues amid the pandemic, research finds

Schools can reopen safely — an epidemiologist describes what works and what’s not worth the effort

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

On June 17, First Person Arts and EMOC launch a virtual event they hope will shatter misperceptions of men of color

Philadelphia , PA

KIPP Philadelphia Public Schools

External Affairs Manager

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

City Year Philadelphia

Corporate Partnerships Manager

Apply Now
Philadelphia

Rock to the Future

Music and Creative Instructors

Apply Now

Student voice needs to be at forefront of CRT decision-making

How student-designed video games made me rethink how I teach history

A pitch with teeth: Local power couple to appear on the ‘Shark Tank’ season finale

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

Good food + good people + good cause = good times

401 N 3rd Street Philadelphia, PA 19123

Gift of Life Donor Program

Digital Media Specialist

Apply Now
Fairhill - Hartranft Neighborhood (North Philadelphia)

The Village of Arts and Humanities

Program Manager, Youth and Young Adult Programs

Apply Now

The Village of Arts and Humanities

Senior Project Manager: Byrne Criminal Justice Project, Advancing Equity Through Public Safety

Apply Now

Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity