(Photo by Julie Zeglen)
Meetups, meetups, getcha meetups!
Last year, we compiled a list of seven Meetup groups for the Philly social impact community. Since then, a few groups have dropped off — RIP Here’s My Chance — and new ones have sprung up. Here’s our updated list.
- Socent Philly — A couple of aspiring social entrepreneurs/students revived this group recently in an attempt to give Philly’s social enterprise ecosystem a boost. (Size: 927)
- The ITEM — This group founded by entrepreneur Kahiga Tiagha is all about increasing minority participation in Philly’s tech sector. Also promised: “No posing, no stunting, no cliques.” (Size: 1,011)
- Nonprofit Nerds Philly Meetup — This year-old group’s goal is to share resources and best practices for nonprofit leaders. Recent meetups have included sessions on fundraising and “how to advocate and thrive as a nonprofit in uncertain times.” (Size: 601)
- Code for Philly — All the civic hackathons you could want in one place. (Size: 2,816)
- Young Involved Philadelphia — YIP aims to foster civic engagement in Philadelphians ages 22 to 35. Consider its annual State of Young Philly series as a prime example. Plus, regular happy hours. (Size: 3,585)
- Philly Accessibility Forum — This group wants to make technology accessible for all potential users, regardless of their abilities. It meets infrequently, but recently hosted a demonstration of the OrCam, “the world’s most advanced wearable assistive technology solution for the blind.” (Size: 168)
- Got Culture in Philadelphia — Check out the city’s arts + culture institutions with other local tourists. Next week in particular holds a bunch of science-related meetups, presumably in honor of the Philadelphia Science Festival. (Size: 2,649)
- United By Blue Events and Adventures — Led by the social enterprise’s own intrapreneur, Jen Singley, these meetups are meant to show off the social enterprise’s digs during First Friday happy hours. (Size: 78)
- Net Tuesday Philly Meetup — The local chapter of national organization NetSquared is on a bit of a hiatus right now as it searches for a new lead organizer; if you’re interested in taking it on, email email@example.com. (Size: 1,443)
- Philly Social Impact Meetup — Follow for details about Generocity events such as the Tech in the Commons series, which kicks off next week with augmented and virtual reality, and INTER/VIEW, our jobs and engagement fair, which returns May 23. (Size: 782)
Note: Missing from this list are OpenAccessPHL and Philly EdTech Meetup because it looks like they haven’t hosted an event in a while. We’ve reached out to the organizers to ask if they’re still active and will update this story when they get back to us.
From our Partners
From our Partners
If accessibility seems an unsolvable riddle, the Penn Museum offers an answer
Want to build skills to tell the story of your organization’s impact? Join the RISE Partnership’s Readiness component
Nonprofit AF: Stop expecting nonprofits to merge. It’s annoying
Inscripción Doble en Congreso: Lo que trae el futuro
City of Philadelphia, Rebuild
Director of Evaluation and LearningApply Now
Nonprofits helped organize the pro-Trump rally before the Capitol siege – but they probably won’t suffer any consequences
Vu Le: 21 signs you or your organization may be the white moderate Dr. King warned about
Predictions for nonprofits 2021
Dual Enrollment at Congreso: Where does it go from here?
Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity