(Photo by Julie Zeglen)
Meetups, meetups, getcha meetups!
Last year, we compiled a list of seven Meetup groups for the Philly social impact community. Since then, a few groups have dropped off — RIP Here’s My Chance — and new ones have sprung up. Here’s our updated list.
- Socent Philly — A couple of aspiring social entrepreneurs/students revived this group recently in an attempt to give Philly’s social enterprise ecosystem a boost. (Size: 927)
- The ITEM — This group founded by entrepreneur Kahiga Tiagha is all about increasing minority participation in Philly’s tech sector. Also promised: “No posing, no stunting, no cliques.” (Size: 1,011)
- Nonprofit Nerds Philly Meetup — This year-old group’s goal is to share resources and best practices for nonprofit leaders. Recent meetups have included sessions on fundraising and “how to advocate and thrive as a nonprofit in uncertain times.” (Size: 601)
- Code for Philly — All the civic hackathons you could want in one place. (Size: 2,816)
- Young Involved Philadelphia — YIP aims to foster civic engagement in Philadelphians ages 22 to 35. Consider its annual State of Young Philly series as a prime example. Plus, regular happy hours. (Size: 3,585)
- Philly Accessibility Forum — This group wants to make technology accessible for all potential users, regardless of their abilities. It meets infrequently, but recently hosted a demonstration of the OrCam, “the world’s most advanced wearable assistive technology solution for the blind.” (Size: 168)
- Got Culture in Philadelphia — Check out the city’s arts + culture institutions with other local tourists. Next week in particular holds a bunch of science-related meetups, presumably in honor of the Philadelphia Science Festival. (Size: 2,649)
- United By Blue Events and Adventures — Led by the social enterprise’s own intrapreneur, Jen Singley, these meetups are meant to show off the social enterprise’s digs during First Friday happy hours. (Size: 78)
- Net Tuesday Philly Meetup — The local chapter of national organization NetSquared is on a bit of a hiatus right now as it searches for a new lead organizer; if you’re interested in taking it on, email firstname.lastname@example.org. (Size: 1,443)
- Philly Social Impact Meetup — Follow for details about Generocity events such as the Tech in the Commons series, which kicks off next week with augmented and virtual reality, and INTER/VIEW, our jobs and engagement fair, which returns May 23. (Size: 782)
Note: Missing from this list are OpenAccessPHL and Philly EdTech Meetup because it looks like they haven’t hosted an event in a while. We’ve reached out to the organizers to ask if they’re still active and will update this story when they get back to us.
From our Partners
From our Partners
These 8 Philly orgs that support Black communities have made public pledges, organized cleanups and called for action
As protests and unrest grip the nation, how should Philly nonprofits respond?
Plugged-in and nonprofit: Nominate up to 10 people to be considered for inclusion in our ‘RealLIST Connectors’
¿Cómo preparamos a estudiantes sin ninguna historia familiar de educación universitaria?
‘We came up with a 5-part educational recovery package for nonprofits. Here’s how we did it’
Opinion: Budget cuts would make us a city with no front door
While confronting the impacts of COVID-19, don’t forget that the arts can be part of the solution
How do we prepare first-generation graduates for college?
Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity