(Photo via Flickr user angela n., used under a Creative Commons License)
Philadelphia is home to 200,000 immigrants — about 13 percent of the city’s overall population.
Our many social services nonprofits have been fairly vocal and active about providing aid to them in recent months. Still, and especially for the city’s 50,000 undocumented immigrants, there is fear about the reported rise of immigrant arrests and uncertainty about whether Latino services organizations’ CEOs should be called out for their apparent support of a certain public official.
— PhillyOIA (@PhillyOIA) May 25, 2017
The city itself remains a “Fourth Amendment city” in the face of Attorney General Jeff Sessions finalizing what defines those sanctuary conditions for a city, and so Philly’s Office of Immigrant Affairs (OIA) is taking this month of June to celebrate its fourth annual Immigrant Heritage Month.
From our Partners
The month-long series kicks off officially June 5 and is produced in collaboration with Welcome.us, a national nonprofit that is calling on states to celebrate its immigrant communities, such as with its new “I Stand With Immigrants” initiative.
— PHL Adult Education (@PhilaLiteracy) May 31, 2017
In accordance with the celebration, Generocity’s editorial coverage for this month will also focus on immigration. This June, we hope to take a further look into what the city’s communities, nonprofits and organizations are doing in support of these people.
Here are some of the #ImmigrantHeritagePHL events you can take part in around Philly, according to this full list by the OIA:
- Latino Film Festival 2017, June 2 to 4
- #ImmigrantHeritagePHL Kickoff and Philadelphia International Unity Cup Draw, June 5
- Arab Classical and Contemporary Music with Hanna Khoury and Hafez Kotain, June 5
- Healthy Living 101 for Refugee and Immigrant Communities, June 6
- Human Trafficking Conference, June 8
- Take Action Philly Citizenship Screenings, June 10, 17, 26 and 28
- Odunde Street Festival, June 11
- Caribbean Carnival and Parade, June 17
- Cameroonian Association of Philadelphia Convention, June 17
- The PAPA Sessions Featuring Philadelphia Asian Performing Artists, June 19
- World Refugee Day at City Hall, June 20
- Iftar Dinner at International House, June 20
- Uzbek Rhapsody: The Films of Ali Khamraev, June 22 to July 1
- Muhibbah Dinner, June 27
From our Partners
Scribe explores oral history in ‘Power Politics’ series, funds emerging media makers
6 things we know about you
Adult learners need digital literacy, too
Be the leader to bring a 26-year mission into the future in Chester County
Fairmount Park Conservancy
Coalition & Convening DirectorApply Now
cinéSPEAK and the future of cinema in West Philly
Power moves: John Fisher-Klein becomes The Attic’s new executive director
On the market: 50 social impact jobs to get you going
Village of the Arts seeks to deepen and scale its impact as it reflects on its legacy
Children's Scholarship Fund Philadelphia
Director, School and Family PartnershipsApply Now
Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity