Sidney Hargro is Philanthropy Network's new executive director - Generocity Philly

People

Jun. 16, 2017 1:28 pm

Sidney Hargro is Philanthropy Network’s new executive director

The current Community Foundation of South Jersey ED envisions a local philanthropic landscape made up of cross-sector solutions: "The future of philanthropy is not how we've handled philanthropy in the past."

Sidney R. Hargro.

(Courtesy photo)

Philanthropy Network Greater Philadelphia announced yesterday it had appointed Sidney Hargro as its new executive director.

The current Community Foundation of South Jersey (CFSJ) ED will take over on July 24. Director of Communications Amy Seasholtz served as the organization’s interim executive director after former head Maari Porter left back in November for a job as the city’s director of policy and strategic initiatives.

Hargro, who is known for having increased CFSJ’s assets from $400,000 to more than $20 million over the seven years of his tenure, would rather call himself a “community builder” than a fundraiser, as he said while speaking on a panel discussing philanthropy trends this week.

“That is the priority, always, for me, to look at the opportunities to tap into the synergy of those who have like passions to create change,” he said in an interview — accordingly, he thinks of Philanthropy Network as a “community of communities.”

The former mechanical engineer’s high-level goals for the network include making sure it’s a part of cross-sector discussions about solving Greater Philadelphia’s toughest problems.

“The reality is, philanthropy is one piece of the puzzle, so it’s can’t exist in isolation from public-private, multi-sector [partnerships] in the region,” he said. “The world around us is changing rapidly. Philanthropy [must] be flexible to meet those trends and think differently about social change. The future of philanthropy is not how we’ve handled philanthropy in the past.”

Hargro currently serves as a board member of both the Council of New Jersey Grantmakers and the United Way of Greater Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey. He’s also a founding member of the Executive Alliance for Men and Boys of Color and the treasurer of Grantmakers for Effective Organizations.

From our Partners

-30-
LEAVE A COMMENT

From our Partners

A new reason Americans are getting leery of billionaire donors

Generocity community responds to Vu Le post on paying interview-stage job applicants

Student voice needs to be at forefront of CRT decision-making

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

On June 17, First Person Arts and EMOC launch a virtual event they hope will shatter misperceptions of men of color

Philadelphia, PA

Fairmount Ventures Inc

Associate

Apply Now
currently virtual; soon to be full or partially in-person in Philadelphia

City Year Philadelphia

Individual Giving/Donor Engagement Manager

Apply Now
Ardmore, PA

Breastcancer.org

Fundraising Events Manager

Apply Now

The new normal means centering mental health to recover

Nonprofit AF: It’s time we pay interview-stage job applicants for their time

Homelessness in reentry is a serious concern. Here’s what Philly is doing about it

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

Good food + good people + good cause = good times

Philadelphia, PA

SteegeThomson Communications

Associate

Apply Now
1729 Mount Vernon Street Philadelphia PA 19130

MURAL ARTS PHILADELPHIA

Assistant to the Chief Operating Officer/Office Manager

Apply Now
A hybrid of remote and in-office work is possible.

Council for Relationships

Director of Development

Apply Now

Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity