(Photo by Clever Girl Photography)
After opening nominations up to the public and scouring the internet and our brains for inspiration, the organizing team for the seventh annual Philly Geek Awards (including, full disclosure, this editor) has come up with a hell of a list of people and orgs to honor for doing awesome, mission-driven, geeky work in the city.
First, the event essentials:
- When — Saturday, Aug. 26, from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
- Where — String Theory Schools, 1600 Vine St.
- How much — $40
See the full list of nominees here, but for now, a few of social impact-focused categories:
Mission Leader of the Year
- Robert Cheetham, founder of GIS mapping firm Azavea
- Simon Hauger, founder of The Workshop School
- Phantazia Washington, lead trainer at Attic Youth Center’s Bryson Institute
Impact Org of the Year
Partnership of the Year
- Clarifi and the Mayor’s Office of Reintegration Services for Ex-Offenders
- Voting Booth of the Future
Movement of the Year
And the much anticipated Geek of the Year:
- Liberty Rose, maker and coproducer of the Philadelphia Burlesque Festival
- Marion Leary, scientist and co-organizer of March for Science PHL
- M. Asli Dukan, independent filmmaker
From our Partners
From our Partners
So, what does a district attorney actually do?
Money Moves: Benefits Data Trust, Esperanza and 8 more Philly orgs just earned $1.78M
Philly, here’s your socially conscious holiday gift guide for 2018
Nonprofits and startups can win up to $360K at the WeWork Creator Awards
One Step Away is celebrating its 9th birthday by launching a magazine
Power Moves: Philly’s LGBTQ board prep program picked its inaugural class
Center for Hunger-Free Communities just released 5 reports on discrimination and food insecurity
12 Philly immigrants who are ready to mobilize
Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity