(Photo by Clever Girl Photography)
After opening nominations up to the public and scouring the internet and our brains for inspiration, the organizing team for the seventh annual Philly Geek Awards (including, full disclosure, this editor) has come up with a hell of a list of people and orgs to honor for doing awesome, mission-driven, geeky work in the city.
First, the event essentials:
- When — Saturday, Aug. 26, from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
- Where — String Theory Schools, 1600 Vine St.
- How much — $40
See the full list of nominees here, but for now, a few of social impact-focused categories:
Mission Leader of the Year
- Robert Cheetham, founder of GIS mapping firm Azavea
- Simon Hauger, founder of The Workshop School
- Phantazia Washington, lead trainer at Attic Youth Center’s Bryson Institute
Impact Org of the Year
Partnership of the Year
- Clarifi and the Mayor’s Office of Reintegration Services for Ex-Offenders
- Voting Booth of the Future
Movement of the Year
And the much anticipated Geek of the Year:
- Liberty Rose, maker and coproducer of the Philadelphia Burlesque Festival
- Marion Leary, scientist and co-organizer of March for Science PHL
- M. Asli Dukan, independent filmmaker
From our Partners
From our Partners
Ceiba produces two instructional ‘Vote by mail’ videos you can use in outreach to voters
There’s a grant for that: 6 opportunities available from late May to mid-June, and on a rolling basis
Charitable giving: Are the rich really stingier than the rest of us?
¿Cómo preparamos a estudiantes sin ninguna historia familiar de educación universitaria?
Opinion: Adult education isn’t a priority in the FY21 budget — but it should be
Research brief: New tool to measure gender bias in the workplace may help finally eliminate it
Power moves: Arun Prabhakaran resigns from DA’s office to become executive VP at Urban Affairs Coalition
How do we prepare first-generation graduates for college?
Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity