What this nonprofit exec has learned in 38 years of food security work - Generocity Philly

People

Jan. 3, 2018 7:06 am

What this nonprofit exec has learned in 38 years of food security work

Nutritional Development Services head Lizanne Hagedorn on how she's seen attitudes toward charity change.

Students eating a salad provided by Nutritional Development Services.

(Courtesy photo)

In Philadelphia 325,940 people are affected by food insecurity — one out of every five Philadelphians.

One of the forces pushing back against food insecurity is Nutritional Development Services (NDS), an offshoot of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia that provides food assistance to underserved populations.

The person leading that charge within NDS is Executive Director Lizanne Hagedorn.

Lizanne Hagedorn. (Courtesy photo)

Hagedorn has worked with NDS for 38 years of the organization’s 44-year existence, starting as an intern while studying food marketing at St. Joe’s University. She then worked her way up to be an assistant business manager, business manager, head of finance and lastly executive director, a role she took on July 1. (She’s also the mom of Kate Hagedorn, the Chamber of Commerce for Greater Philadelphia’s director of civic affairs.)

From our Partners

“It is hard to believe that I’ve been there as long as I have because it doesn’t feel like it,” Hagedorn said. “I find joy — but every day is a challenge.”

And challenging it is: NDS provides Philadelphia and surrounding counties with 35,000 meals a day. With federal funding from the Department of Agriculture, NDS is able to provide meals to the public through school, after-school, child care and shelter programs as well as various food cupboards.

In order to have a larger impact, NDS partners with likeminded organizations such as Share Food Program, Philadelphia Coalition Against Hunger and Philabundance. Hagedorn said she realizes it’s likely impossible for NDS and its partners to totally eradicate world hunger, but she recognizes this work has the ability to relieve burdens for thousands locally.

The populations that NDS serves the most are single parents, veterans and senior citizens — all groups more likely to live on fixed incomes.

“The seniors probably never would have thought that they would have to think about choosing between buying food, medicine, or paying rent or electricity,” Hagedorn said. “If we can help people alleviate that, we don’t have the big fix, but if we can take that off of them, for a month or two, that really helps.”

Holy Redeemer students enjoying a free meal from NDS. (Courtesy photo)

Because Hagedorn has been working with NDS in different capacities for almost 40 years combating food insecurity, she has been able to witness a shift in public attitude regarding charity.

“I can say that when I first started, especially in the child nutrition programs, no parents wanted to admit that they possibly needed food assistance for their families, thinking that they could get it from other family members,” she said. “But I think times have changed and people realize that maybe they don’t have family members to rely on and there is not that same stigma, and that people truly want to help them and are doing it in a nonjudgmental way.”

Hagedorn said she feels at home at NDS and has thoroughly enjoyed her long relationship with the organization.

“It is an honor and a privilege to have been associated with NDS after all of these years,” Hagedorn said. “I hope that I do well by it as we continue into the future and  that we contribute to the overall good of the people.”

-30-
LEAVE A COMMENT

From our Partners

A new reason Americans are getting leery of billionaire donors

Generocity community responds to Vu Le post on paying interview-stage job applicants

Student voice needs to be at forefront of CRT decision-making

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

On June 17, First Person Arts and EMOC launch a virtual event they hope will shatter misperceptions of men of color

Philadelphia, PA

Fairmount Ventures Inc

Associate

Apply Now
currently virtual; soon to be full or partially in-person in Philadelphia

City Year Philadelphia

Individual Giving/Donor Engagement Manager

Apply Now
Ardmore, PA

Breastcancer.org

Fundraising Events Manager

Apply Now

The new normal means centering mental health to recover

Good food + good people + good cause = good times

Nonprofit AF: It’s time we pay interview-stage job applicants for their time

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

Philadelphia, PA

SteegeThomson Communications

Associate

Apply Now
1729 Mount Vernon Street Philadelphia PA 19130

MURAL ARTS PHILADELPHIA

Assistant to the Chief Operating Officer/Office Manager

Apply Now
A hybrid of remote and in-office work is possible.

Council for Relationships

Director of Development

Apply Now

Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity