(Photo via facebook.com/greenphillyblog)
In 2008, I started a blog because my employer at the time was taking our recycling bins and throwing them into the trashcans. Green Philly has a mission to make sustainability easy, fun and accessible.
Over the past 10 years, I’ve watched this WordPress website become an essential sustainability resource. Three years ago, I left the corporate world to pursue Green Philly full-time. Now, Green Philly hosts SustainPHL, Philadelphia’s annual sustainability awards and celebration, Beyond the Blog panel discussions, a diversity roundtable series (co-hosted by Saleem Chapman) and will soon launch a podcast.
We’re celebrating 10 years the best way we know how: by throwing a party complete with Victory Brewing Company beer, local bites, tunes from DJ Dom McGraw, and networking with Green Philly’s readers and friends. Find out how to win a free pair of tickets below.
Before we celebrate (and give away the tickets): We’ve learned a few things through running a small business. Here are five of our biggest takeaways from the past decade:
- Take advantage of Philadelphia’s resources — Between nonprofits like The Enterprise Center and Entrepreneur Works, Wordcamp and meetups, there are a ton of low-cost resources to help grow your business. Use them!
- Get offline — Hosting events is a great way to meet readers, build our community and grow relationships. At our Beyond the Blog panels, for instance, readers hear our favorite sustainability experts tell their story and share their expertise.
- Listen to your readers — Or customers. People who frequently use your product or service will share great insight about what they love — and don’t love — about your business. We’ve had readers give us story ideas and local businesses become involved in our events.
- Stay curious — Even though I am often called to be the “sustainability expert,” I still challenge myself to read new books and stay up to sustainability news. Keep learning.
- Challenge yourself — The biggest way I’ve grown my business is taking risks and going for what seemed difficult. Before SustainPHL, I had never planned a large event. Why not start with a 300-person award ceremony? It wasn’t an easy task. Luckily, I had friends, business partners and colleagues that were happy to jump in and help pull off a huge endeavor. Seeing your vision come to light is indescribable.
Join our 10-year celebration on Tuesday, June 12, from 6 to 9 p.m. at 421 N. 7th St. Join the fun and grab tickets here.
From our Partners
We’re giving away two pairs of tickets for our 10-year party to two lucky Generocity readers. Simply enter your name and email in the below form to be entered to win. We’ll email the winners on Friday, June 8.-30-
From our Partners
Sustainability work can be as diverse as Philly’s residents: SustainPHL 2018
How Benefits Data Trust will use $4 million to increase food security across the U.S.
You don’t need Lenfest wealth to make a difference
Nonprofits and startups can win up to $360K at the WeWork Creator Awards
YallaPunk founder Rana Fayez: ‘The work is just beginning’
Engage with culture, identity and ability at the Philadelphia Inclusive Arts Festival
Meet the 2018-2019 Eagles Care nonprofit partners
12 Philly immigrants who are ready to mobilize
Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity