No Philly foundations cracked the list of top U.S. funders giving globally - Generocity Philly

Funding

Oct. 11, 2018 1:03 pm

No Philly foundations cracked the list of top U.S. funders giving globally

According to a recently released report on the state of international philanthropy. (One Conshohocken-based org did hit #26.)

Philanthropy to change the world.

(Photo by Flickr user Kevin Gill, used via a Creative Commons license)

Philadelphia’s philanthropy scene isn’t known as for its international reach.

Foundation Center recently released a joint report with the Council on Foundations called “The State of Global Giving by U.S. Foundations” that tracks global giving trends from 2011 through 2015. No Pennsylvania funders cracked the list of top 20 most generous funders.

One local org did make it close, though: the Conshohocken-based John Templeton Foundation, which Foundation Center Research Analyst Inga Ingulfsen said ranked #26 by dollar amount. (This distinction isn’t included in the report itself.)

The org — which funds things like “exceptional cognitive talent and genius” and “individual freedom and free markets” — awarded 924 international grants from 2011 to 2015, totaling $128,660,737.

A few points of note:

• International philanthropy reached an “all-time high” of $9.3 billion in 2015 alone. That was a 29 percent increase from five years earlier.
  • Global giving by community foundations increased threefold, from $103.1 million to $314.5 million.
  • The top funders by international grant dollars during the allotted timespan was, by far, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which donated an incredible $18 billion to international causes, including $6.5 billion going to Sub-Saharan Africa. This org was the top donor for each of the five years included in the report and accounted for just over half of all global giving from U.S. foundations.
  • The John Templeton Foundation did rank in the top funders of initiatives in Western Europe by both dollar amount (#4) and number of grants (#1): $81.8 million and 544, respectively.
Read the report

Ingulfsen said via email that the data stops at 2015 because the report’s writers “rely mostly on tax data published by the IRS,” which tends to lag by two years. (We’ve encountered this problem ourselves.)

From our Partners

Foundation Center’s next data trends analysis, to be released in early 2019, will include 2016 data, and “2017 data will likely be ready to publish in late 2019 or early 2020 at the earliest,” she said.

That means we’ll have to wait a bit to see whether the 2016 presidential election impacted global giving, the way it has national philanthropy.

-30-
LEAVE A COMMENT

From our Partners

A new reason Americans are getting leery of billionaire donors

Generocity community responds to Vu Le post on paying interview-stage job applicants

Student voice needs to be at forefront of CRT decision-making

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

Good food + good people + good cause = good times

Ardmore, PA

Breastcancer.org

Fundraising Events Manager

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

SteegeThomson Communications

Associate

Apply Now
1729 Mount Vernon Street Philadelphia PA 19130

MURAL ARTS PHILADELPHIA

Assistant to the Chief Operating Officer/Office Manager

Apply Now

The new normal means centering mental health to recover

Nonprofit AF: It’s time we pay interview-stage job applicants for their time

Homelessness in reentry is a serious concern. Here’s what Philly is doing about it

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

Beyond Literacy: Combining nearly 90 years of history into one org

A hybrid of remote and in-office work is possible.

Council for Relationships

Director of Development

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts

Manager of Membership & Annual Giving

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA 19127

Starfinder Foundation

Program & Events Coordinator

Apply Now

Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity