(Photo by HughE Dillon)
Energy supply company NRG is at it again.
Public voting competition NRG Gives pits three local nonprofits against each other to win tens of thousands of dollars. This round, the competitors — selected by NRG employees — are vying for $50,000:
- Little Smiles — Kennett Square-based, volunteer-driven nonprofit that helps healthcare staffers cheer up hospitalized kids
- Philadelphia Animal Welfare Society — Philly’s largest no-kill shelter system
- The Seeing Eye —Morristown, NJ-based nonprofit that trains pups to be seeing-eye dogs
Second and third place will win $10,000 and $5,000, respectively. Voting is only open through Monday, Oct. 22, so get to it (but only once per day, per device). The winner will be announced on Oct. 24.
“NRG Gives is one of the best parts of our work at NRG and has generated great participation and excitement in this region,” said Mike Starck, VP and GM of NRG Retail East division, in a press release. “NRG Gives provides employees the opportunity to directly impact nonprofits where they live and work and allows our customers and the public a say in where we invest in this community.”
Once this round’s funds have been distributed, the program will have donated $440,000 to 14 regional nonprofits in the past two years.
So honored to help kick-off this round of #NRGGives & tell @RedPawRelief‘s story. @pickNRG is a great partner to us & local community orgs like the three amazing nonprofits who are looking for your votes this time around!
➡️ https://t.co/JgqBaMuy5x pic.twitter.com/q7UAHjpagU
From our Partners
— Jennifer Leary (@learyjen) October 15, 2018
Haven’t yet scratched the voting itch? Consider two more opportunities to share your opinion on who’s best:
- Aetna’s Voices of Health contest is highlighting orgs addressing the social determinants of health in the communities they serve. Pick between 10 local nonprofits to win up to $20,000 by Nov. 9.
- Pennsylvania is electing a governor, lieutenant governor, one senator and more on Nov. 6. Do your civic duty and get out there, you All-American champ.
Update: The winner of this round of NRG Gives is Little Smiles.
— Mike Starck (@MikeStarck) October 24, 2018
From our Partners
On the Market: 10 new Philly jobs in development, project management and more
Money Moves: Campbell Soup gave $700K to community initiatives in Camden
The importance of Black male educators and role models
Nonprofits and startups can win up to $360K at the WeWork Creator Awards
Mighty Writers and veteran journalists are helping Camden high schoolers tell their stories
Sharing without judgment: Why mental health support can flourish online
Power Moves: Meet Generocity’s new editor, Sabrina Vourvoulias
12 Philly immigrants who are ready to mobilize
Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity