Sign up for an evening of knowledge sharing, resource building and networking at Tech in the Commons: Connect the Dots with Census Data. In partnership with Comcast NBCUniversal, the first session of 2019 will feature best practices from community leaders that have successfully used census data to inform decision making.
Next week, you have the chance to experience three unique case studies presenting scenarios in which census data was leveraged to support organizational efforts and lessen the digital divide. This is especially relevant since the U.S. Census will be going digital in 2020.
After each interactive presentation, attendees will dive deeper into the content by selecting an intimate breakout session led by each speaker below.
- Alex T. Williams is a senior manager of data analytics for Internet Essentials at Comcast. He received his doctoral degree from the Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Pennsylvania. His research on media economics and social inequality has been cited by the Pew Research Center, Washington Post, NPR, The Atlantic, and various other national news outlets.
- Rosa Torres is a data solutions product owner at Vereti Concepts. She founded Dataimprint in 2017 to help organizations seeking to make a social change visualize their stories. Dataimprint is focused on driving action, outcome and impact through data visualization and social change data analytics.
- Ijanae “Izzy” Jackson is an MBA student at Temple University’s Fox School of Business, and founder of Dwell City LLC/ Dwell City Solutions — a social impact web-based platform.
Each speaker will present a different perspective and provide resources based on the lessons that their organization has learned. Here’s a sneak peak of the presentations that we have confirmed so far — with more to come:
From our Partners
- Neighborhood Outreach: Identifying Where to Concentrate Outreach Efforts Using Census Data — this presentation led by Williams will focus on how Internet Essentials uses census data to target outreach efforts to close the digital divide. By analyzing neighborhood data, census data often tells a richer story that is more actionable. To illustrate, an interactive map of the digital divide by Philadelphia neighborhoods will be explored.
- Moving from Outcome to Impact — Nonprofit organizations collect a wealth of data to support their programming, meet donor needs and send outcomes back to the communities they serve. Torres will demonstrate how utilizing census data, can help nonprofit organizations enhance their outcomes and move into compelling data storytelling that connects their mission to impact.
That’s not all. What’s an engaging event without tasty food? Local favorite, Kyle Eats, will be whipping up yummy bites to fuel the conversation. Not to mention, you will be able to grab coffee, tea, or even a beer courtesy of our lovely hosts, MakeOffices.
Get your tastebuds ready for the menu below:
- Baguette hoagies: green curry chicken salad, Italian, roasted veggie, and Caprese
- Homemade lemon-garlic hummus & crudités (seasonal veggies from local farmers market)
- Za’atar spiced & plain toasted pita
- Corn tortilla chips
- Mixed green salad w/ roasted potatoes, lemon
RSVP as soon as you can because space is limited! To secure your spot, we ask that you pay a $5 deposit via the registration page; your money will be returned when you arrive.-30-
From our Partners
Scribe explores oral history in ‘Power Politics’ series, funds emerging media makers
6 things we know about you
Adult learners need digital literacy, too
Be the leader to bring a 26-year mission into the future in Chester County
cinéSPEAK and the future of cinema in West Philly
Power moves: John Fisher-Klein becomes The Attic’s new executive director
On the market: 50 social impact jobs to get you going
Village of the Arts seeks to deepen and scale its impact as it reflects on its legacy
Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) Philadelphia
Program Officer, Equitable NeighborhoodsApply Now
University City Science Center
Development AssociateApply Now
Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity