(Photographers: Dominique Nichole Studios, Bobbi Booker, Marta Rusek)
When Generocity makes a call, the nonprofit community answers.
At the top of the month, we asked the leadership of the nonprofit sector to share their upcoming symposiums, conferences, fundraisers and trademark events with us. We received more than 40 submissions. We’ve compiled the submissions into an easy-to-navigate roundup of the year’s impactful initiatives that you should consider attending.
Think of this as more than a list — it is a resource.
Is your organization’s mission aligned with an event’s programming? Consider reaching out to collaborate or sponsor.
Could your employees or colleagues benefit from one of the conferences or symposia? Think of making that opportunity for professional development available to them.
Is there something you’ve always considered learning about or exploring more in-depth? Give yourself permission to check out some new and interesting opportunities.
Our hope is that this list showcases the range of events happening across the sector in Philadelphia, and that it will be of use to organizations and individual nonprofit pros alike.
- Wednesday, February 26: Join the Sustainable Business Network, Green Building United, and the Philadelphia Energy Authority at Introduction to C-PACE for an overview of the Commercial Property Assessed Clean Energy Program in Philadelphia. Review details of the financing program including eligible energy conservation, renewable energy, and stormwater management projects.
- Friday, February 28: The 2020 PHENND Conference is an annual gathering for practitioners of campus-community partnership. The theme this year is housing.
- Sunday, March 8: REI, Natural Lands, and Well By Nature are hosting an International Women’s Day celebration. Enjoy the beauty of ChesLen Preserve while engaging in hikes, yoga, gear-testing demonstrations and more.
- Thursday, March 12: Greater Philadelphia Cultural Alliance has organized Creating a Diverse & Inclusive Workplace. This workshop will explore best practices for recruiting, hiring and retaining diverse candidates as well as how to actively create an inclusive work environment.
- Wednesday, March 18: Celebrate National Small Business Development Temple Small Business Development Center at Funding Forum and get a chance to connect with the right lender for your stage of business.
- Thursday, March 19: Asociación Puertorriqueños en Marcha is conducting an Education Speakers Series featuring Sonia Manzano. To celebrate its 50th anniversary, APM has launched a four-part speaker series bringing together thought leaders, experts and activists to discuss issues that are central to the social services organization. The second part of the series will feature actress and author, Sonia Manzano, known for playing Maria on Sesame Street from 1971 to 2015.
- Friday, March 20: Covenant House Pennsylvania is organizing Sleep Out: Young Professional Edition. This is peer-to-peer fundraising event where the attendees give up their bed for the night to raise funds and awareness for the plight of homeless youth in the city.
- Thursday, March 26:
- Episcopal Community Services is celebrating 150 years of working together. Join them at this celebration recognizing the impact made by their community.
- At Better Gardens, Better Soil, Stroud Water Research Center will teach attendees productive gardening skills like how to spend less time weeding and ways to improve water quality.
- Tech in the Commons: Podcasting 101 for Nonprofits, the first 2020 session of the series offered by Generocity in partnership with Comcast NBCUniversal, will focus on podcast development for nonprofit professionals and leaders. Founder of Messy.fm, Molly Beck, will teach you how to plan, create and grow your new podcast, while seamlessly integrating audio into your organization’s content strategy.
- Saturday, March 30 – 31: The Philadelphia Diversity and Inclusion Conference 2020 is dedicated to the exchange of insights and concepts about diversity, inclusion and equity best practices. The goal of this event is to provide a learning forum focused on diverse and inclusive strategies that can influence corporate social responsibility, create fair treatment, access and advancement for all eliminating barriers. Learn more here.
- Tuesday, March 31: Montgomery County Defenders will have a film screening and discussion titled, PUSHOUT: The Criminalization of Black Girls in School examining the educational, judicial and societal inequalities that Black girls face in the Unites States.
- Tuesday, April 7: In partnership with Reading Terminal Market and The Temple Small Business Development Center, join Slice Communications for an evening of flash talks for small business owners looking to unpack the field of marketing at the Small Business Marketing Bootcamp.
- Wednesday April 15 – Thursday, April 16: Water Now Alliance will convene local water leaders at Tap into Resilience. The summit will bring together innovators for two days of conversation, learning, and leadership development on current sustainability water challenges.
- Saturday, April 18: The Greater Philadelphia Coalition of Hunger is hosting The 24th Annual Race Against Hunger 5K Run/Walk uniting local pantries, soup kitchens, businesses, health organizations, and the community to support efforts to eliminate hunger in the Greater Philadelphia region.
- Tuesday, April 21: Attend Spring into What’s Next Day of Giving by Families Forward Philadelphia. This is a citywide day of giving to support families experiencing homelessness through an array of in-person and virtual events.
- Wednesday, April 22: Temple Small Business Development Center is organizing an evening of networking for construction and real estate development sector from across Philadelphia. Join the organization at Building Communities: Construction Mixer.
- Friday, April 24: Make a difference in the lives of young homeless women with Convenant House of Pennsylvania at Sleep Out: Women Unite. The evening will include interaction with youth impacted by these efforts and camaraderie with other sleepers.
- Saturday, April 25 – Sunday April 26: Join Community Organization Services Integrated at Empathy Colloquium Series Symposia. This event will create dialogue around how empathy can be used to build collective values, identities, perspectives and cultures within communities and sector.
- Friday, May 1 – Saturday, May 9: Generocity’s sister site, Technical.ly, is organizing, Philly Tech Week 2020 presented by Comcast. Generocity is representing the impact track by organizing our second 2020 Tech in the Commons event on May 5 – more details coming soon — and we hope that you consider getting involved with the 10th annual celebration. Learn more here.
- Sunday, May 3: At Make a Joyful Noise, Episcopal Community Services will feature combined children’s and adult choirs from across the Diocese, with a reception to follow.
- Friday, May 8: The Office of Adult Education is organizing the Technology and Adult Education Conference inviting adult educators and digital literacy practitioners to think about creative, student-centered, inclusive teaching strategies that provide access to opportunities for learners to integrate technology into their lives.
- Wednesday, May 13 – Thursday, May 14: TOTAL IMPACT PHILADELPHIA 2020 hosted by ImpactPHL and Total Impact is bringing together investment advisors and investors hoping to gain information on impact investment across asset classes.
- Tuesday, May 19: PhillyCAM and DocSociety are joining forces for Good Pitch Local 2020 Philly. This event is a day-long showcase of new short-form, non-fiction media projects and networking opportunities with media makers
- Wednesday, May 20: Brandywine Health Foundation is hosting the 18th Annual Garden Party and this year’s theme is, “A Night in Old Havana.”. Presented by KeyBank, the event will include dinner and desserts prepared by chefs from local restaurants in Chester County as they compete in a “Tournament of Treats” competition sponsored by Univest Financial.
- Thursday, June 11 – Friday, June 12: The Ladipo Group and MTR Therapy are joining efforts for the Diversity of Us Annual Summit to a platform for clinicians of color to share, speak, and teach about their experiences as a person of color in a field of therapy that has been white washed from its creation to now.
- More information is coming about these events scheduled for June:
- INTER/VIEW 2020, Generocity’s social impact job and volunteer opportunity fair. Check out information about 2019’s event here.
- The 3rd Annual Reentry Celebration and Awards Ceremony recognizing the efforts of people and organizations working to reduce recidivism and create opportunity, organized by Philadelphia Reentry Coalition and the Office of Reentry Partnerships.
No events were submitted for this month.
From our Partners
- Thursday, August 6 – Saturday, August 8: The 2020 NLC National Convention hosted by New Leaders Council will gather 400 community influencers, change agents, and next-generation leaders to hone skills, share ideas, and gain connections that can inform their work in 2020.
- Thursday, August 20: Join the Association of Fundraising Professionals Greater Philadelphia Chapter for Leading Philanthropy 2020! With tracks designed to inspire and development skills in fundraising, seeking board members and non-profit leadership, this conference will prepare professionals to innovate in the philanthropic environment.
- Thursday, September 9 – Saturday. September 11: Annual Mid-Atlantic ADA Conference is the 27th annual conference on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Join the Mid-Atlantic ADA Center for an event providing more than 250 participants from the Mid-Atlantic region and beyond with reliable information on the ADA.
- Friday, September 10 – Saturday, September 11: Join the Pennsylvania Association for Infant Mental Health at the PA AIMH 11th Annual Infant Mental Conference, a statewide multi-disciplinary conference for infant mental health professional development.
- Tuesday, October 22 – Friday, October 23: Attend the Pennsylvania Association of Nonprofit Organizations’ 2020 PANO Annual Conference gathering of nonprofits across the state for two days of networking, learning, and collaborating.
- Wednesday, October 28 – Friday, October 30: Putting Care at the Center 2020 is the annual conference by Camden Coalition of Healthcare Providers the created an opportunity for innovators and advocates for healthcare delivery reform nationwide to meet, network, and create a shared agenda for complex care industry.
- Keep your eyes open for information about Philanthropy Network’s SPARX Conference 2020! This annual event brings together regional funders, social investors, nonprofits, and other civic leaders who want to learn, connect and lead social change in Greater Philadelphia.
- ADVANCE by Generocity returns for year 2! Join us for the second year of moving forward ideas, organizations and professionals that drive smarter impact. More information is coming soon and you can read about 2019’s event here.
- Monday, November 9 – Tuesday, November 14: Participate in PHLanthropy Week 2020! Each November, a team of local philanthropists and change-makers partner to host PHLanthropy Week to showcase the impactful work being conducted in the philanthropic sector.
- Keep your eye out for information about these events:
- JEVS’ Strictly Business Networking & Awards Luncheon is an annual fundraiser recognizing employers that are contributing to the region’s economy through a commitment to its workforce and honor the achievements of JEVS Human Services’ customers. Last year’s event was held in November, check out more information about the 2019 event here.
- The Urban Affairs Coalition Annual Breakfast is a fundraiser where more than 800 leaders gather and raise over $450,000 that translates into community impact. See information about last year’s event here.
No events submitted for this month.
Events spanning multiple months, or recurring throughout the year:
- Nonprofit Executive Leadership Institute is conducting its executive leadership certification program at several points throughout the year These 2-day experiences provide a balance between cultivating your growth as an individual leader and helping you strengthen your skills in organizational capacity building. Learn more here.
- March – November: Women 100: A Celebration of American Women presented by Drexel University Vision 2020 is a series of programs and events that celebrate American women and spark new ideas about the path to gender equality.
Unfortunately, we were unable to include events in early February that were organized by our pals below. However, we still want to recognize them for participating in the call — you are appreciated.
- Disability Pride Philadelphia Inc.
- HealthSpark Foundation
- Harmonious Volunteer Center
- Philadelphia Climate Works / Philadelphia Transit Equity Day Coalition
Moral of this story? As you plan your organization’s signature events, keep the Generocity team in the loop. We are a hub for the nonprofit, mission-based, social impact and social enterprise community and we hope to find more and better ways to strengthen the connections within the sector as we tell your stories.-30-
From our Partners