1. Laure Biron becomes CEO of Broad Street Ministry.
Broad Street Ministry, the 16-year-old homeless services organization, recently named Laure Biron as its chief executive officer. Biron has served as the organization’s chief operating officer since 2019.
Biron succeeds Michael Dahl, who stepped down as executive director of the organization in 2020 but continues as a strategic advisor to the organization.
A psychotherapist in private practice throughout her career, Biron also served as the Porch Light Program director, and as a Restorative Justice Guild Program social worker, at Mural Arts Philadelphia before joining Broad Street Ministry. Earlier in her career she served as a psychoeducator and consultant, as well as a short- and long-term substitute teacher.
Biron holds a bachelor’s degree from Smith College, an MFA from Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, and a master’s degree from Bryn Mawr College Graduate School of Social Work and Social Research.
2. Melinda Johnson named Philadelphia executive director for Compass.
Compass, which provides strategic guidance and pro bono consulting to local nonprofits, recently announced that Melinda Johnson will join as executive director of its Philadelphia operations effective May 3.
Johnson succeeds Beth Dahle, who will stay on at the organization until mid-May to ensure a smooth transition.
The founder of Johnson Manor of Faith and Education in New Jersey, Johnson served as director of operations at the Institute for Women’s Health and Leadership at Drexel University for 11 years, and as program administrator at the university’s Office of Research Administration for nearly four years before that. Early in her career she served as a mortgage consultant/financial representative at AIG.
Johnson serves as board member of the Center for Aquatic Sciences at Adventure Aquarium, as well as Woodbury City Public Schools. She previously served as vice president of the Black Alumni Council of Drexel University.
Johnson holds a bachelor’s degree from Stanford University, and a doctorate from Drexel University. She is also a graduate of DiverseForce on Boards‘ Board Leadership and Governance Program.
From our Partners
3. Mastery Schools names Saliyah Cruz as chief equity officer.
Prior to joining Mastery Schools, Cruz served as executive vice president of instructional leadership at Universal Companies; executive director of principal support at Baltimore City Public Schools; school design leader at the School District of Philadelphia; and principal at both the SDP and Christina School District in DE.
Cruz holds a bachelor’s degree from LaSalle University, a master’s degree from Temple University, and a doctorate from the University of Pennsylvania.
4. Larry Bell becomes CFO of Delaware River Waterfront Corporation.
The president of Lbelljazz Inc. for the past 11 years, Bell most recently served as the executive vice president and CFO of The Enterprise Center. Earlier in his career he served as the CFO and general manager of CertaPro Painters in New Jersey; as director of administration and finance at the University of Pennsylvania; and manager of financial planning and analysis at Pepsi Cola in Pittsburgh.
He has served on the boards of the Harambee School of Science and Technology Charter School, Intercultural Family Services Inc., The Blazers Ski Club, and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc.
He holds a bachelor’s degree from Temple University, and a master’s degree from the Wharton School.
Other April staffing and board appointments
Benefits Data Trust
- Erika Blumenthal was named chief operating officer.
- Erin Henderlight was named director of policy.
- Sang Hoon Lee was promoted to chief of staff.
- Bert Miuccio was promoted to senior director, development and healthcare innovation
Community College of Philadelphia
- David E. Thomas was named vice president of strategic initiatives and community engagement.
- Shannon McLaughlin Rooney was named vice president of enrollment management and strategic communications.
- Mark Sarvary was appointed to the board of directors.
- Melissa Smith was appointed to the board of directors.
Philadelphia Bar Foundation
- Roberta A. Barsotti was named to the board of trustees.
- Jeremy Menkowitz was named to the board of trustees.
- Lora Spencer was named to the board of trustees.
- Patrice A. Toland was named to the board of trustees.
Philadelphia Corporation for Aging
- Shaunise Spivey was named chief operating officer.
Share Food Program
- Michael Waterman was named director of finance.
- Yocasta Lora was appointed to the board of directors.
- Bernard Lee was appointed to the board of directors.
- Laura Belmont was appointed to the board of directors.
- Anita Lewis was appointed to the board of directors.
- Joanne Shallcross was appointed to the board of directors.
From our Partners