Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Follow

Contact

Power moves: John Fisher-Klein becomes The Attic’s new executive director

October 22, 2021 Category: ColumnFeaturedLongPeople

1. John Fisher-Klein now helms The Attic Youth Center.

The board of The Attic Youth Center appointed John Fisher-Klein (he/him) the organization’s new executive director in late September, after an extensive search and vetting process.

Before joining The Attic, Fisher-Klein served for more than three years as an education associate at the Delaware Department of Education, and for 10 years served as an adjunct professor at Wilmington University.

Earlier in his career, he served as an education specialist for the State of Delaware; executive director of Newark Day Nursery and Children’s Center; and executive director of AIDS Delaware.

He also served as a board member of the United Way of Delaware from 2014-2015.

“I plan to start my work at the Attic with efforts to create a new, three-year strategic plan,” Fisher-Klein said via the announcement. “We will engage in a reflective process that will help us define who we want to be as an organization, what we would like to do, and how to get there.”

Shawnese Givens.

He takes the reins from Shawnese Givens, who served as interim executive director since April 2019 — after a leadership change at the nonprofit which was precipitated by public allegations of racism, unfair pay, mismanagement of a sexual assault and other grievances. Givens’ efforts during the two years she was interim ED were instrumental in restoring The Attic’s reputation within the LGBTQ+ community.

From our Partners

“It has been my privilege to serve as The Attic’s interim executive director and I am pleased to pass the torch to John,” Givens said in the emailed announcement. “I am confident in his ability to lead The Attic into its next chapter with passion and dedication. John’s expertise in education, youth development, and advocacy, along with his investment in LGBTQ youth and social justice, will strengthen the organization’s ability to meet the needs of our young people.”

Fisher-Klein holds a bachelor’s degree, as well as certifications in financial and nonprofit management, from the University of Delaware, and a master’s degree from Wilmington University.

2. Mustafa Ali-Smith and Tomika Anglin join the Juvenile Law Center.

Juvenile Law Center recently announced two additions to its staff: Tomika Anglin joins the organization as operations manager, and Mustafa Ali-Smith joins as administrative assistant.

Tomika Anglin.

Anglin most recently served as chief of staff for Councilmember Kendra Brooks, a position she held for nearly two years.

According to Juvenile Law Center’s website, Anglin “comes to social justice work through education advocacy and activism. She began working with Parents United for Public Education organizing parents to submit more than 800 complaints of curriculum deficiencies to the Secretary of Education. She also organized and facilitated workshops for parents to learn about the issues and the best ways to advocate for the needs of their school communities.”

Anglin holds a bachelor’s degree from Drexel University.

In addition to his administrative assistant role at Juvenile Law Center, Ali-Smith is serving as a program analyst at the Vera Institute of Justice. He recently served as project assistant for “Chronicling Resistance” at the Free Library of Philadelphia; as a graduate associate at Riepe College House at the University of Pennsylvania; and as an executive department intern at the Vera Institute.

Mustafa Ali-Smith.

Earlier, Ali-Smith founded the Student Political Alliance at the University of Tennessee; served as president, vice president and political action chair of the collegiate chapter of the NAACP; and was the staff op-ed writer with the campus newspaper, The Daily Beacon. Ali-Smtih also served as a domestic violence intern, a canvasser, and a legislative intern while living in Knoxville.

According to the Juvenile Law Center website, Ali-Smith “writes and hosts a podcast titled Redesign America, focusing on addressing and reimagining ways we can change and better our world. The podcast brings in guests from various fields to discuss topics in society, culture, race, and politics—all relevant to transforming the very world we live in for the better. As groups that have excluded, oppressed, and subjugated to second-class caste systems throughout history, the podcast centers on the voices of Black, Indigenous, and other people of color.”

Ali-Smith holds a bachelor’s degree from the University of Tennessee and a master’s degree from the University of Pennsylvania.

3. Rasaq Lawal named director of student development and family engagement at Musicopia and DCP.

Rasaq Lawal.

Partner organizations Musicopia and Dancing Classrooms Philly (DCP) announced that Rasaq Lawal will be serving in the newly created role of director of student development and family engagement.

Lawal is the CEO and founder of Jaajo Dance Experience, has served as a dance teacher at Mastery Charter Schools, and as dance shop coordinator at Workshop Houston.

According to the emailed announcement of the appointment, Lawal “has always been an agent for diversity and inclusion as exemplified by his Princeton Prize on Race Relations.”  It also points to his work as a National Academy of Sports Medicine certified group fitness instructor, and his work as director/producer/choreographer with credits on So You Think You Can Dance (season six), as well as work with Three 6 Mafia and Wizkid.

“I am excited to deepen the connection with our Musicopia and DCP families, as well as help students maximize their experience while participating in our programming,” Lawal said in the announcement. “I am looking forward to meeting more families, hearing how we are making a significant difference for them, and also learn new ways to improve and build upon those experiences.”

He holds two bachelor’s degrees from Washington and Lee University.

4. Holy Family University names C. William Moffitt and Skaria Pulimkalayil to its board of trustees.

Holy Family University recently announced the appointment of C. William (Bill) Moffitt and Skaria (Roshan) Pulimkalayil to its board of trustees.

Bill Moffitt. (LinkedIn)

Moffitt is the founder of Moffitt Investment Management, LLC, based in Glenmoore (Chester County).

Before founding his business, Moffitt served for a decade as the senior VP, investment officer, and senior PIM portfolio manager at Wells Fargo Advisors. He previously served as the VP, senior portfolio manager of Morgan Stanley and as a financial advisor at Merrill Lynch and Prudential Securities.

Moffitt has served as a board member of the Great Valley Chamber of Commerce, the Central Presbyterian Church of Downingtown, and is currently on the board of The Anglers Club of Philadelphia.

He holds a bachelor’s degree from Pennsylvania State University and master’s degree from Villanova University.

Pulimkalayil currently serves as a labor and employee relations analyst for the City of Philadelphia‘s Office of Labor Relations.

Prior to serving in that role, Pulimkalayil worked as a special assistant to the deputy commissioner of prisons at the Philadelphia Department of Prisons, among other positions.

He has served as a member of Holy Family University Alumni Association‘s board of directors, and is currently a member of the Society for Human Resource Management.

Pulimkalayil holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Holy Family University, as well as a  post-graduate certificate in human resource management.

Project

Power Moves

Trending News

A City of Neighborhoods and the Challenge of Affordable Housing ImpactPHL Perspectives
Monday Minute with Katrina Pratt Roebuck Monique Curry-Mims
Healthcare Deserts Part 4: Philanthropic Solutions Marilyn Kai Jewett
Monday Minute with Jean Pierre Brice Monique Curry-Mims