Why you should consider going to DemHack2016 even if you don't code - Generocity Philly

Purpose

Mar. 15, 2016 9:21 am

Why you should consider going to DemHack2016 even if you don’t code

It takes a diverse team to create a successful civic tech project, said Code for Philly Executive Director Dawn McDougall. The democracy hackathon will be March 18 to 20.

DemHack2015.

(Photo by Tony Abraham)

A common misconception surrounding hackathons is that you don’t belong in them if you don’t know how to code. Code for Philly Executive Director Dawn McDougall believes that’s a make-believe barrier to entry.

“This might be a little weird to hear,” she wrote in a post about Code for Philly’s upcoming DemHack2016 hackathon, “but if you’re a person with in-depth knowledge in an area (for the purposes of this hackathon, democracy) I want you to think of yourself as a datasource and a visioneer.”

Perspective and personal experience, McDougall said, can be the “deciding factor” in the success of a civic tech project. Just because you can’t put a line of code together (even though, yes, you absolutely can), doesn’t make you any less qualified to contribute to projects powered by data and technology than the city’s most prominent technologists.

“Civic tech projects are great opportunities to experiment with new technologies in addition to learning how to scope and design a complex project, form a team and assign roles, break up work in manageable tasks and efficient workflows, and apply well-rounded experience to see a vision realized,” McDougall said. “We want noncoders to help shape the direction of projects from the very beginning. Though programmers and data scientists are incredibly smart, it takes a diverse team working collaboratively for a truly successful civic tech project.”

DemHack, a hackathon that encourages participants to build tools that improve democracy and the democratic process in Philadelphia, starts with a Community Needs Assessment on Friday, March 18, followed by two consecutive days of hacking and building and typing and minimal bathing and democracy. Whew.

Last year’s DemHack spawned projects such as the now-famed Ward Leader Baseball Cards app, which profiles city ward leaders, and One Stop Transparency Shop, which pulls and compares city procurement data, campaign finance reports and lobbying reports to find links between contracts and donations.

A slew of partners including Committee of Seventy, City Council, Philly311, the Board of Ethics and the Commissioner’s Office have all helped make datasets accessible for the hackathon, and word on the street (McDougall’s blog post) says Young Involved Philadelphia is urging its members to participate.

Plus, according to the Twitter machine, a super special guest will be in attendance at the kickoff on March 18.

-30-
LEAVE A COMMENT

From our Partners

Why Philanthropy Can’t Overlook the Mayoral Primaries

Workforce Recovery Strategies Committee aims to tackle pandemic employment challenges through collaboration

Culture Builder: Local governments should attract people, not companies

Philadelphia

Youth Sentencing & Reentry Project (YSRP)

Mitigation Specialist

Apply Now
Philadelphia

Director of Development and Communications

Apply Now
915 Spring Garden Street, Ste 103, Philadelphia, PA 19123

Vetri Community Partnership

Chief Operating Officer

Apply Now

Reflect back, reimagine forward: How Ben Franklin Technology Partners is investing in regional impact

Student voice needs to be at forefront of CRT decision-making

Good food + good people + good cause = good times

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

Be the leader to bring a 26-year mission into the future in Chester County

Philadelphia, PA

Philadelphia Yearly Meeting

Deputy General Secretary (DGS)

Apply Now
One Penn Center, 1617 John F Kennedy Blvd #1700, Philadelphia, PA 19103

Schultz & Williams

Project Manager, Development Consulting & StaffSolutions (FTE)

Apply Now
Philadelphia

Fairmount Ventures Inc

Associate

Apply Now

Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity