Cultural leaders, politicians and CEOs mourn Philly philanthropist Gerry Lenfest - Generocity Philly

People

Aug. 6, 2018 11:39 am

Cultural leaders, politicians and CEOs mourn Philly philanthropist Gerry Lenfest

The cable television magnate spent his last two decades giving away over $1.3 billion, much of which has been directed at organizations benefitting arts and culture, high-risk youth and universities in the Philadelphia region.

Gerry Lenfest at the 2009 William Penn Gala.

(Photo courtesy of The Chamber of Commerce for Greater Philadelphia)

It’s another loss for Philly’s civic community: Philanthropist H.L. “Gerry” Lenfest died on Sunday after months of declining health, according to Philly.com. He was 88.

The cable television magnate sold his company, Lenfest Communications Inc., in 2000 and spent the rest of his life giving away his fortune — over $1.3 billion, much of which has been directed at organizations benefitting arts and culture, high-risk youth and universities in the Philadelphia region.

Lenfest also purchased Philadelphia Media Network (PMN), including the Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia Daily News and Philly.com, in 2014. Then in 2016, he established the the Institute for Journalism in New Media, now called the Lenfest Institute for Journalism, to which he donated PMN so the company could benefit from grant funding dedicated to public interest media projects.

The Philadelphia Foundation operates a special assets fund that manages the institute. President and CEO Pedro Ramos said in a statement: “Gerry Lenfest was and will be remembered as one of Philadelphia’s greatest citizens, and one of America’s great philanthropists.”

Philly.com published a thorough multimedia obituary featuring interviews with the likes of former Gov. Ed Rendell, Philadelphia Museum of Art President and COO Gail Harrity and Comcast Corporation CEO and Chairman Brian Roberts, as well as a list of his biggest philanthropic donations, on Sunday.

Read Philly.com's obit

Generocity profiled Lenfest’s protégé, Keith Leaphart, in 2016, charting his rise from small business owner to doctor to wannabe politician to philanthropist; Leaphart has been chairing the board of the Lenfest Foundation since 2013, a position handed down by Lenfest directly.

From our Partners

Here’s his Philly.com testimony on Lenfest’s legacy:

Watch to the end, when Leaphart makes a call for area affluents to follow in Lenfest’s footsteps:

“We have wealth in the region. But others who are in the region who are as wealthy, who have succeeded him, who are currently on the rise — [I wish] that they would adopt his approach of connecting with people … stepping in, not sitting on the sidelines, using their brands and the leverage that they have to lead [as] philanthropists. We need that as a city.”

-30-
LEAVE A COMMENT

From our Partners

A new reason Americans are getting leery of billionaire donors

Generocity community responds to Vu Le post on paying interview-stage job applicants

Student voice needs to be at forefront of CRT decision-making

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

Good food + good people + good cause = good times

Ardmore, PA

Breastcancer.org

Fundraising Events Manager

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

SteegeThomson Communications

Associate

Apply Now
1729 Mount Vernon Street Philadelphia PA 19130

MURAL ARTS PHILADELPHIA

Assistant to the Chief Operating Officer/Office Manager

Apply Now

The new normal means centering mental health to recover

Nonprofit AF: It’s time we pay interview-stage job applicants for their time

Homelessness in reentry is a serious concern. Here’s what Philly is doing about it

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

Beyond Literacy: Combining nearly 90 years of history into one org

A hybrid of remote and in-office work is possible.

Council for Relationships

Director of Development

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts

Manager of Membership & Annual Giving

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA 19127

Starfinder Foundation

Program & Events Coordinator

Apply Now

Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity