This high school student wrote a play about the trauma of school shootings. You can see it tonight - Generocity Philly

Purpose

Jan. 17, 2020 2:37 pm

This high school student wrote a play about the trauma of school shootings. You can see it tonight

Angelina DeMontes' play, Candles, premiered last night at the Arden Theatre’s Hamilton Family Arts Center at 62 N. 2nd Street. There are performances tonight and tomorrow (January 17 and 18) at 7 p.m.

Angelina DeMonte.

(Courtesy photo)

Candles is Philadelphia Young Playwrights‘ first Barrymore-eligible production. It is also PYP’s first full-length, fully self-produced play. It is not, however, 10th-grader Angelina DeMonte‘s first play. She wrote that back in the eighth grade.

DeMonte, a student at Harriton High School, was inspired by the experience and advocacy of students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School after the 2018 school shooting, and wrote Candles to explore the varying effects of trauma on young people under similar circumstances.

DeMonte’s protagonists are three students in the school newspaper club at a Philadelphia-area school high school whose lives are impacted when the school comes under attack by an armed student. The production integrates poetry, spoken word, and music in order to allow its young people to authentically grieve, process and speak out.

And, through DeMonte’s words, to advocate for themselves. After all, one of  the realities the sestudents and young actors live with is that in the 2018-2019  academic year, there were more than 100 reported threats against schools per month in Pennsylvania.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

According to the release issued by PYP, “DeMonte started writing plays in eighth grade through Philadelphia Young Playwrights’ in-school program. Her first play, Say Who Are You That Mumbles In The Dark, was selected among over 700 entries for Philadelphia Young Playwrights’ New Voices Festival and was performed at Temple University in October 2018. It was during this production that she first realized she could channel her passion for speaking out against gun violence through her playwriting.”

“I created characters who are journalists, because as a writer, I understand how writers think — the ability and the drive to pick something apart in order to figure it out, to look deeper into questions that some people may be too scared to ask,” DeMonte said via the release.

Candles premiered last night at the Arden Theatre’s Hamilton Family Arts Center at 62 N. 2nd Street. There are performances tonight and tomorrow (January 17 and 18) at 7 p.m., as well as on January 24 and 25 at 7 p.m. General admission tickets are $15 for all shows, and can be purchased here.

From our Partners

###

Directed by Bi Jean Ngo, this production of Candles is 90 minutes long and features performances by Ang Bey, Danielle Coates, Owen Corey, Tyler S. Elliott, and Yannick Haynes.

-30-
LEAVE A COMMENT

From our Partners

Scribe explores oral history in ‘Power Politics’ series, funds emerging media makers

6 things we know about you

Adult learners need digital literacy, too

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

Be the leader to bring a 26-year mission into the future in Chester County

Philadelphia, PA

Sustainable Business Education Initiative d/b/a Sustainable Business Network of Greater Philadelphia

Program and Administrative Coordinator

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA- but possible to be fully remote

Curtis Institute of Music

Prospect Researcher

Apply Now

cinéSPEAK and the future of cinema in West Philly

Power moves: John Fisher-Klein becomes The Attic’s new executive director

On the market: 50 social impact jobs to get you going

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

Village of the Arts seeks to deepen and scale its impact as it reflects on its legacy

Philadelphia, PA

United Way of Greater Philadelphia & Southern New Jersey

Manager, Annual Giving

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

Director, Major Gifts Officer

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

Director, Campaign Services

Apply Now

Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity