This high school student wrote a play about the trauma of school shootings. You can see it tonight - Generocity Philly

Purpose

Jan. 17, 2020 2:37 pm

This high school student wrote a play about the trauma of school shootings. You can see it tonight

Angelina DeMontes' play, Candles, premiered last night at the Arden Theatre’s Hamilton Family Arts Center at 62 N. 2nd Street. There are performances tonight and tomorrow (January 17 and 18) at 7 p.m.

Angelina DeMonte.

(Courtesy photo)

Candles is Philadelphia Young Playwrights‘ first Barrymore-eligible production. It is also PYP’s first full-length, fully self-produced play. It is not, however, 10th-grader Angelina DeMonte‘s first play. She wrote that back in the eighth grade.

DeMonte, a student at Harriton High School, was inspired by the experience and advocacy of students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School after the 2018 school shooting, and wrote Candles to explore the varying effects of trauma on young people under similar circumstances.

DeMonte’s protagonists are three students in the school newspaper club at a Philadelphia-area school high school whose lives are impacted when the school comes under attack by an armed student. The production integrates poetry, spoken word, and music in order to allow its young people to authentically grieve, process and speak out.

And, through DeMonte’s words, to advocate for themselves. After all, one of  the realities the sestudents and young actors live with is that in the 2018-2019  academic year, there were more than 100 reported threats against schools per month in Pennsylvania.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

According to the release issued by PYP, “DeMonte started writing plays in eighth grade through Philadelphia Young Playwrights’ in-school program. Her first play, Say Who Are You That Mumbles In The Dark, was selected among over 700 entries for Philadelphia Young Playwrights’ New Voices Festival and was performed at Temple University in October 2018. It was during this production that she first realized she could channel her passion for speaking out against gun violence through her playwriting.”

“I created characters who are journalists, because as a writer, I understand how writers think — the ability and the drive to pick something apart in order to figure it out, to look deeper into questions that some people may be too scared to ask,” DeMonte said via the release.

Candles premiered last night at the Arden Theatre’s Hamilton Family Arts Center at 62 N. 2nd Street. There are performances tonight and tomorrow (January 17 and 18) at 7 p.m., as well as on January 24 and 25 at 7 p.m. General admission tickets are $15 for all shows, and can be purchased here.

From our Partners

###

Directed by Bi Jean Ngo, this production of Candles is 90 minutes long and features performances by Ang Bey, Danielle Coates, Owen Corey, Tyler S. Elliott, and Yannick Haynes.

-30-
LEAVE A COMMENT

From our Partners

TikTok is a unique blend of social media platforms — here’s why kids love it

One of the keys to the Philadelphia Worker Relief Fund’s success was accessibility

Temple University’s COVID outbreak left North Philadelphia’s Black community ill-equipped and uninformed

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

Inscripción Doble en Congreso: Lo que trae el futuro

Philadelphia PA

Philadelphia Parks and Recreation

Urban Forestry Community Organizer

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

University City Science Center

Grants Manager

Apply Now

UPenn faculty calls on board of trustees to reverse their position on PILOTs at meeting tomorrow

At Philly Tech Week, the example of a global nonprofit leveraging tech and human connection to eradicate poverty

Power moves: Leadership departures announced at the African American Museum and Public Interest Law Center

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

Dual Enrollment at Congreso: Where does it go from here?

Southeastern Pennsylvania

Planned Parenthood Southeastern PA

Gender Affirming Care Services Coordinator

Apply Now
Harrisburg, PA

Public Health Management Corporation

Regional Manager, Healthcare and Emergency Management (NW and Central Pa.)

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

United Way of Greater Philadelphia & Southern New Jersey

Senior Analyst – Data Science

Apply Now

Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity