This high school student wrote a play about the trauma of school shootings. You can see it tonight - Generocity Philly

Purpose

Jan. 17, 2020 2:37 pm

This high school student wrote a play about the trauma of school shootings. You can see it tonight

Angelina DeMontes' play, Candles, premiered last night at the Arden Theatre’s Hamilton Family Arts Center at 62 N. 2nd Street. There are performances tonight and tomorrow (January 17 and 18) at 7 p.m.

Angelina DeMonte.

(Courtesy photo)

Candles is Philadelphia Young Playwrights‘ first Barrymore-eligible production. It is also PYP’s first full-length, fully self-produced play. It is not, however, 10th-grader Angelina DeMonte‘s first play. She wrote that back in the eighth grade.

DeMonte, a student at Harriton High School, was inspired by the experience and advocacy of students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School after the 2018 school shooting, and wrote Candles to explore the varying effects of trauma on young people under similar circumstances.

DeMonte’s protagonists are three students in the school newspaper club at a Philadelphia-area school high school whose lives are impacted when the school comes under attack by an armed student. The production integrates poetry, spoken word, and music in order to allow its young people to authentically grieve, process and speak out.

And, through DeMonte’s words, to advocate for themselves. After all, one of  the realities the sestudents and young actors live with is that in the 2018-2019  academic year, there were more than 100 reported threats against schools per month in Pennsylvania.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

According to the release issued by PYP, “DeMonte started writing plays in eighth grade through Philadelphia Young Playwrights’ in-school program. Her first play, Say Who Are You That Mumbles In The Dark, was selected among over 700 entries for Philadelphia Young Playwrights’ New Voices Festival and was performed at Temple University in October 2018. It was during this production that she first realized she could channel her passion for speaking out against gun violence through her playwriting.”

“I created characters who are journalists, because as a writer, I understand how writers think — the ability and the drive to pick something apart in order to figure it out, to look deeper into questions that some people may be too scared to ask,” DeMonte said via the release.

Candles premiered last night at the Arden Theatre’s Hamilton Family Arts Center at 62 N. 2nd Street. There are performances tonight and tomorrow (January 17 and 18) at 7 p.m., as well as on January 24 and 25 at 7 p.m. General admission tickets are $15 for all shows, and can be purchased here.

From our Partners

###

Directed by Bi Jean Ngo, this production of Candles is 90 minutes long and features performances by Ang Bey, Danielle Coates, Owen Corey, Tyler S. Elliott, and Yannick Haynes.

-30-
LEAVE A COMMENT

From our Partners

Economy League is launching a civic impact accelerator, makes 4 hires

Ronald Crawford believes Meek Mill, Jay Z and Nas have something healing to say to Philly’s returning citizens

Happy Valentine’s Day — nonprofit style

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

During Tech in Action Day, all the participants teach and learn

Philadelphia PA

Fairmount Park Conservancy

Hatfield House Site Manager

Apply Now
Philadelphia PA

Fairmount Park Conservancy

Hatfield House Community Arts Curator

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

Witty Gritty

Project & Client Manager

Apply Now

Does discharging a homeless person from emergency shelter as punishment for wrongdoing constitute torture?

‘What has the most significant impact on leadership of color?’ 16 Philly-area leaders answer our question

At Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School, celebrating our first college graduate

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

ECS has been tackling Philly’s social issues for nearly 150 years. Now, its new focus is intergenerational poverty

Philadelphia, PA

Witty Gritty

Community Engagement Coordinator

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

Verified Voting

Research Assistant

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

Community Legal Services

MEDICAL-LEGAL PARTNERSHIP-PARALEGAL

Apply Now

Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity