School named in honor of famous rapper is 'cleaning up' the streets of Wilmington with tech - Generocity Philly

Purpose

Oct. 7, 2020 9:03 am

School named in honor of famous rapper is ‘cleaning up’ the streets of Wilmington with tech

Guest columnist Tyrone Taylor talks about Reginald Noble Tech's plans to expand its form of Black male engagement and skills-building beyond Delaware.

Initially launching in Wilmington, Del., Reginald Noble Tech is planning to expand the programs in urban areas around the country.

(Courtesy photo)

This guest column was written by Tyrone Taylor, a nonprofit professional with  over 15 years experience mentoring at-risk and vulnerable youth.
The Reginald Noble School of Technology Methodologies Training (better known as Reginald Noble Tech) — named in honor of Reginald “Redman” Noble, the Grammy-nominated, best-selling rapper — is a nonprofit with a major initiative to transform the lives of Black men in urban areas by creating new opportunities to inspire, educate and prepare.

The innovative school is addressing the growing need to provide underserved Black men in mainly urban communities, who are 18-25 years old, the opportunity and access to careers in technology, particularly software. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that careers in software development over the next 10 years are growing 22% faster than average. Reginald Noble Tech wants to change the narrative; bucking trends that show that only 2% to 5% of tech executives are Black.

Reginald Noble Tech is offering young African American males access to free, eight-week classes offered in such areas as network testing, UAT/GUI testing, security testing and mobile application testing.

To kick off the school’s fall session in mid-September, Mike Purzycki, mayor of Wilmington and Delaware Governor John Carney offered opening remarks, inspiring the young men and celebrating the program’s contributions to the community. The classes were filled to capacity on the first day of the announcement.

With the support of 100 Black Men of Philadelphia-Manhood 101 Program, Cait Brown, a veteran business executive and founder, worked with numerous members of the community to establish the school.

In addition, Noble has been nominated for the prestigious Computer History Museum Fellows Awards, recognizing him as the first Black male with a standalone software technology school rebranded to be named in his honor, as well as for inspiring young African-American men to pursue careers in technology. This nomination is historic, and serves as a powerful tribute to Noble and his commitment to the community.

From our Partners

While initially launching in Wilmington,  Reginald Noble Tech is planning to expand the programs in urban areas around the country over the next few years, offering training in other disciplines along with software testing. The school’s mission is to “clean the streets” by providing these young men training in areas whereas they are able to make living wages.

The school’s goal is to train 30 young men per year during four annual sessions in each urban area where the school has been established. Based on the success of their current class (the first class), the school’s founder sees no problems with achieving that goal. The school plans to raise at least 50k by the spring semester.

The young men of the current class are already establishing the foundations of an LLC. They intend to use their training in technology to form a recruiting firm which places technology on job sites per the needs of clients.

-30-
LEAVE A COMMENT

From our Partners

A new reason Americans are getting leery of billionaire donors

Generocity community responds to Vu Le post on paying interview-stage job applicants

Student voice needs to be at forefront of CRT decision-making

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

Good food + good people + good cause = good times

Ardmore, PA

Breastcancer.org

Fundraising Events Manager

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

SteegeThomson Communications

Associate

Apply Now
1729 Mount Vernon Street Philadelphia PA 19130

MURAL ARTS PHILADELPHIA

Assistant to the Chief Operating Officer/Office Manager

Apply Now

The new normal means centering mental health to recover

Nonprofit AF: It’s time we pay interview-stage job applicants for their time

Homelessness in reentry is a serious concern. Here’s what Philly is doing about it

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

Beyond Literacy: Combining nearly 90 years of history into one org

A hybrid of remote and in-office work is possible.

Council for Relationships

Director of Development

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts

Manager of Membership & Annual Giving

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA 19127

Starfinder Foundation

Program & Events Coordinator

Apply Now

Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity