These data visuals show how Big Tobacco is impacting low-income communities - Generocity Philly

Results

Sep. 30, 2016 7:55 am

These data visuals show how Big Tobacco is impacting low-income communities

Joe Camel has been known to set his sights on the impoverished. This Smoke Free Philly data story shows how that's happening in Philadelphia.

Tobacco salad.

(Photo by Flickr user John Cappiello, used under a Creative Commons license)

Back in January of 1990, R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company was gearing up to test its flashy new brand of cigarettes in Philadelphia. Dubbed Uptown, the cigarettes would be marketed toward Black consumers — including young Black high schoolers.

The market test came to a halt when a coalition of organizations including the city’s Health Department and the Black clergy rallied around a resistance effort. It seemed like a big win at the time.

Despite efforts to reduce Big Tobacco’s influence (cigarette taxes being one), the industry has still managed to exploit low-income Philadelphians. A new data story from advocacy nonprofit Smoke Free Philly shows exactly how the tobacco industry has impacted the impoverished in Philadelphia, home to the highest rate of adult smoking among the top 10 U.S. cities.

According to the data story, titled By Deadly Design, 48 percent of all tobacco retailers in the city are located in low-income neighborhoods, with the remaining 52 percent located in mixed- and high-income neighborhoods.

ffvw3le

That means low-income Philadelphians — the vast majority of which are people of color — are much more likely to live within close proximity to tobacco retailers, be exposed to tobacco ads and develop health conditions related to smoking.

From our Partners

He might look like a suave dude, but Joe Camel is racist as hell.

-30-
LEAVE A COMMENT

From our Partners

Vanessa Briggs: ‘Upstream solutions are key to authentic engagement of our communities’

‘If you think the protests that are happening now are just about convicting a cop, you’re missing the boat’

‘It’s overwhelming to articulate my feelings about being a Black man in this country’

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

¿Cómo preparamos a estudiantes sin ninguna historia familiar de educación universitaria?

Kensington, Philadelphia

Rock to the Future

Youth and Family Coordinator

Apply Now
Coatesville/Telework

Brandywine Health Foundation

Senior Program Officer

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

Episcopal Community Services

Digital Marketing Manager

Apply Now

What a police-sanctioned mob in Fishtown says about systemic racism

As protests and unrest grip the nation, how should Philly nonprofits respond?

Author of ‘Bearing Witness While Black’ calls for us to stop viewing footage of Black people dying so casually

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

How do we prepare first-generation graduates for college?

Philadelphia (currently remote)

Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence

Human Resources Director

Apply Now
Philadelphia

Urban Technology Project

AmeriCorps Digital Service Fellow

Apply Now
Philadelphia/Baltimore

Heifer International

Director of Philanthropy, Mid-Atlantic Region

Apply Now

Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity