Friday, April 26, 2024

Follow

Contact

PhilaSoup is Hosting Ambassador Microgrant Events for Schools

March 19, 2014 Category: Funding

ambassador_program_header

(Image via PhilaSoup)

PhilaSoup is a micro-grant program in Philadelphia which invites donors to share a dinner while educators present their ideas and projects for their schools. The PhilaSoup ambassador program trains teachers to hold their own micro-grant dinners, that include students, for funding small projects to improve education.

The next PhilaSoup ambassador dinner will be held at Samuel B. Huey School on Saturday, March 22 and is organized by middle school special education teacher Hayley Harrison.

Harrison previously won a micro-grant to host a debate team invitational from a PhilaSoup dinner held in April 2013. She decided to host her own PhilaSoup fundraiser because she knew other groups at the school could benefit from funding as well.

Unlike the usual PhilaSoup dinners where teachers present projects, student groups can also present proposals at the ambassador events. In addition, every student group that presents will receive some of the money.  Groups presenting at “Huey Soup”  include the debate team, a hip hop dance group, a member from student council, and a multimedia group looking to start a literary magazine or a student newspaper.

“I know how much the debate team benefited from the funding, and I know there are other students and other student groups and other teachers who are involved in running student programming who would really be excited and who would also benefit from it,” Harrison said.

She added that the PhilaSoup Ambassador dinner was great opportunity for their school to get its name out there and to get members of the community supporting Huey.

“It’s been a lot of work, a lot of time and effort that went into organizing it, but it’ll definitely be worth while in the terms of the publicity for our school and the benefit for the kids,” Harrison said.

From our Partners

Another PhilaSoup Ambassador event will be held at Kensington Business on March 27. Find out more about PhilaSoup and its other upcoming events at philasoup.org/events/.

Project

Kensington Business

Trending News

100 Days With No Plan, Delaware County Residents Want More Valerie Dowret
Government Can’t Save Us, But, Don’t Hurt Us: Philly to Harrisburg Jude Husein
Skin In The Game Andre Simms
When you’re unsheltered, the public in ‘public safety’ doesn’t include you Dionicia Roberson
Empowerment and Opportunity for All Monique Curry-Mims