PhilaSoup is Hosting Ambassador Microgrant Events for Schools - Generocity Philly

Funding

Mar. 19, 2014 11:00 am

PhilaSoup is Hosting Ambassador Microgrant Events for Schools

(Image via PhilaSoup) PhilaSoup is a micro-grant program in Philadelphia which invites donors to share a dinner while educators present their ideas and projects for their schools. The PhilaSoup ambassador program trains teachers to hold their own micro-grant dinners, that include students, for funding small projects to improve education. The next PhilaSoup ambassador dinner will […]

ambassador_program_header

(Image via PhilaSoup)

PhilaSoup is a micro-grant program in Philadelphia which invites donors to share a dinner while educators present their ideas and projects for their schools. The PhilaSoup ambassador program trains teachers to hold their own micro-grant dinners, that include students, for funding small projects to improve education.

The next PhilaSoup ambassador dinner will be held at Samuel B. Huey School on Saturday, March 22 and is organized by middle school special education teacher Hayley Harrison.

Harrison previously won a micro-grant to host a debate team invitational from a PhilaSoup dinner held in April 2013. She decided to host her own PhilaSoup fundraiser because she knew other groups at the school could benefit from funding as well.

Unlike the usual PhilaSoup dinners where teachers present projects, student groups can also present proposals at the ambassador events. In addition, every student group that presents will receive some of the money.  Groups presenting at “Huey Soup”  include the debate team, a hip hop dance group, a member from student council, and a multimedia group looking to start a literary magazine or a student newspaper.

“I know how much the debate team benefited from the funding, and I know there are other students and other student groups and other teachers who are involved in running student programming who would really be excited and who would also benefit from it,” Harrison said.

She added that the PhilaSoup Ambassador dinner was great opportunity for their school to get its name out there and to get members of the community supporting Huey.

“It’s been a lot of work, a lot of time and effort that went into organizing it, but it’ll definitely be worth while in the terms of the publicity for our school and the benefit for the kids,” Harrison said.

From our Partners

Another PhilaSoup Ambassador event will be held at Kensington Business on March 27. Find out more about PhilaSoup and its other upcoming events at philasoup.org/events/.

-30-
VIEW COMMENTS

From our Partners

3 important outcomes for young people who are taught critical race theory

Student voice needs to be at forefront of CRT decision-making

How student-designed video games made me rethink how I teach history

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

On June 17, First Person Arts and EMOC launch a virtual event they hope will shatter misperceptions of men of color

Philadelphia

Playworks Education Energized

Development Operations Associate

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

GreenLight Fund

Program Associate, GreenLight Fund Philadelphia

Apply Now
West Chester, PA

Friends Association for Care & Protection of Children

Chief Operating Officer

Apply Now

Updated report on gender diversity of eds and meds boards shows some gains

Beyond Literacy: Combining nearly 90 years of history into one org

Meeting the moment: An opportunity for philanthropy to think big

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

Good food + good people + good cause = good times

West Chester, PA

Advancement Associate

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

Fairmount Ventures Inc

Associate

Apply Now
currently virtual; soon to be full or partially in-person in Philadelphia

City Year Philadelphia

Individual Giving/Donor Engagement Manager

Apply Now

Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity