One Step Away is celebrating its 9th birthday by launching a magazine - Generocity Philly

Results

Dec. 5, 2018 7:09 am

One Step Away is celebrating its 9th birthday by launching a magazine

Philadelphia's street newspaper, which is sold and partially written by people experiencing homelessness and economic hardship, debuted a new format this week.

One Step Away's new look.

(Photo by TGoldmanPhotography)

On Monday, a new magazine hit the streets of Philadelphia.

One Step Away (OSA), the street paper aimed at raising awareness of homelessness and providing employment to those in need, debuted its December issue in the new format. The month also marks the nonprofit social enterprise’s ninth year of existence.

For now, contents — which include feature-length articles written by OSA staff or partner news organizations (including, full disclosure, Generocity) and vendor-penned stories and poems — will remain largely untouched, though more sections will be added in future editions.

Director Emily Taylor said the main reason for the change is that OSA can now charge more per product: $5, versus $1 for a newspaper. Previously, the yellow vest-wearing vendors would buy each copy of the newspaper for 25 cents and keep the 75-cent difference. Now, they buy each magazine for $1.50 and keep the $3.50 difference. Simply put, they can sell fewer products for more money.

An OSA vendor.

There are more changes to come for the organization.

Longtime vendor Eric Hazelwood was recently hired as OSA’s first-ever vendor representative, a part-time role where he’ll manage the vendor site and train new vendors. His hiring also allows OSA to expand vendor site hours from three days a week to four. (About 60 people sell the paper at a time, and trainings happen weekly in the basement of the United Methodist Church at Broad and Arch streets.)

From our Partners

Taylor wrote in an email that her goal is to create four vendor rep positions total; the others would deal with volunteer, advocacy and writing.

“The Vendor Representative roles create upward mobility for our vendors, by creating paid hourly positions,” she said. “Our hope is to be able to raise enough funds to fill all of these roles, while connecting to local businesses and community groups for more stable employment opportunities for our vendors.”

That “raise enough funds” bit is crucial. OSA is a program of Resources for Human Development and “is completely supported by members of our community” via individual giving, ads, corporate sponsorships and the like, Taylor said.

Look out for OSA’s new magazine on street corners in Center City most weekdays.

-30-
LEAVE A COMMENT

From our Partners

A new reason Americans are getting leery of billionaire donors

Generocity community responds to Vu Le post on paying interview-stage job applicants

Student voice needs to be at forefront of CRT decision-making

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

Good food + good people + good cause = good times

Ardmore, PA

Breastcancer.org

Fundraising Events Manager

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

SteegeThomson Communications

Associate

Apply Now
1729 Mount Vernon Street Philadelphia PA 19130

MURAL ARTS PHILADELPHIA

Assistant to the Chief Operating Officer/Office Manager

Apply Now

The new normal means centering mental health to recover

Nonprofit AF: It’s time we pay interview-stage job applicants for their time

Homelessness in reentry is a serious concern. Here’s what Philly is doing about it

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

Beyond Literacy: Combining nearly 90 years of history into one org

A hybrid of remote and in-office work is possible.

Council for Relationships

Director of Development

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts

Manager of Membership & Annual Giving

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA 19127

Starfinder Foundation

Program & Events Coordinator

Apply Now

Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity