Philanthropy and venture capital in conversation with each other - Generocity Philly

Funding

Dec. 4, 2020 8:00 am

Philanthropy and venture capital in conversation with each other

Knight Foundation CEO Alberto Ibargüen and Venture Capitalist Austin Clements offer perspectives in this episode of the Off the Sidelines podcast, conducted during Generocity's ADVANCE conference.

(Technical.ly file image)

This article was originally published at our sister site, Technical.ly.
Venture capital and philanthropy are both methods of moving large amounts of money around the economy, but they usually do so with very different goals and strategies.

VC aims to beat the stock market and maximize returns. Philanthropy cares more about creating impact and change (and obeying the strict rules that govern its practice).

Despite these different lanes that philanthropy and venture capital occupy, there is a growing movement of thought that they are not so far apart, and that there are indeed many lessons that each can take from the other. Philanthropy ought to take lessons on investing in teams, not just ideas; private business investing ought to consider the impact its dollars have on the world.

That’s the focus of this week’s episode of Off the Sidelines, an investor education podcast produced by Technical.ly and sponsored by Project Entrepreneur, a program by UBS. Project Entrepreneur wants to improve the enabling environments for women founders and advance inclusive capital, which includes diversifying the pipeline of investors and supporters. Bringing VC and philanthropy closer together is one way to work toward achieving that.

The majority of the episode is comprised of a conversation between Knight Foundation CEO Alberto Ibargüen and Slauson & Co. Managing Partner Austin Clements, conducted at ADVANCE, Generocity‘s annual conference on creating smarter impact.

Listen to the episode to hear what each thinks their respective industry does well (and could do better), and whether enacting change requires concessionary returns or if advancing impact could be a strong investment thesis on its own.

We have more episodes coming up this season with conversations from notable figures throughout the investing world, so be sure to subscribe and keep up to date with all our episodes.

From our Partners

Follow the Off the Sidelines podcast here

Listen to episodes and subscribe here:

-30-
LEAVE A COMMENT

From our Partners

A new reason Americans are getting leery of billionaire donors

Generocity community responds to Vu Le post on paying interview-stage job applicants

Student voice needs to be at forefront of CRT decision-making

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

Good food + good people + good cause = good times

Ardmore, PA

Breastcancer.org

Fundraising Events Manager

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

SteegeThomson Communications

Associate

Apply Now
1729 Mount Vernon Street Philadelphia PA 19130

MURAL ARTS PHILADELPHIA

Assistant to the Chief Operating Officer/Office Manager

Apply Now

The new normal means centering mental health to recover

Nonprofit AF: It’s time we pay interview-stage job applicants for their time

Homelessness in reentry is a serious concern. Here’s what Philly is doing about it

SPONSORED

Generocity Philly

Beyond Literacy: Combining nearly 90 years of history into one org

A hybrid of remote and in-office work is possible.

Council for Relationships

Director of Development

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA

Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts

Manager of Membership & Annual Giving

Apply Now
Philadelphia, PA 19127

Starfinder Foundation

Program & Events Coordinator

Apply Now

Sign-up for daily news updates from Generocity